It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

JanD HB User
Pain in buttocks and back of thighs

Anyone here suffer with pain in the buttocks and back of thighs? This has been driving me nuts. Had x-ray which showed slight degeneration in lower spine. Never had this problem before. Took some NSAID's and it helped but do not like taking meds all the time. Went to a rheumy and will seek a follow-up after the holidays.

Janice

Old 12-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Pain in buttocks and back of thighs

What you are telling her sounds like you have some spinal problems and the symptoms you describe sounds like a case of sciatica.
I had 2 major spinal fusion surgeries and have some experience with it so can share with you.
All humans start to experience some changes in their backs as early as age 25. As we age we develop DDD (degenerative changes), some stenosis, arthrities and some others. So of course it hurts. Especially people who develop bulges, herniations, severe stenosis have to be very careful with picking up heavy stuff.

Physical therapy, swimming, any exsercise which helps to make muscles around the joints strong - the best treatments. Yoga, stretches, meditation - all helps to prevent progressing of spinal problems.

Nobody wants to leave on pain medication. I dislike them too (to say the least). But in case like mine this is matter of life quality, of being able to walk, move. So try to do everything you can first and if this is not working consult your SPINAL ORTHO. Make sure he has fellowship in spinal training, very important.

Best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
(female)

JanD HB User

Moldova thanks so much for your response. Will let you know how the follow-up goes.
Janice

Old 12-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

becky713 HB User

Yes, I have pain there. It bothers me most whenever I am walking. It will burn in those areas.
becky713

Old 12-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
(female)

JanD HB User

Becky do you have lower back arthritis? I started doing exercises today that I found in a book I have specifically for arthritis. Hoping this helps.
Janice

Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
(female)

kersey275 HB User

I agree. sciata problem . I have it nearly every minute.The idea that Ihave to get active is an insult to my intelligence. Getting in bed and out again is a big deal to me.I stretchwhen I am able.To make a long story short, I was in such pain. My friend had to get something at the mall, and I could not stand up anymore,once in the mall. Next to his store, were a group of highly skilled acupressure workers. This man worked on me for a half an hour head to toe. I left with out sciatic pain. only25.00 dollars

Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
(female)

JanD HB User

Had my rheumy follow-up appointment yesterday. She gave me a muscle relaxer to try along with the mobic. I also got an injection in my butt and almost immediately the pain went away. I hope it lasts as last night I had the best sleep in months. I will also be getting a MRI of the lumbar spine as soon as I am cleared with my insurance. Will keep you posted.
Janice

Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
(female)

Snickers60 HB User
Cool Re: Pain in buttocks and back of thighs

Buttock Pain is almost always an SI Joint problem. Trust me I know. If you will look for some SI JOINT exercises and start them religiously, I will be surprised if it doesn't get better for you. I also had to take some relafen (nsaid) in the beginning.

This is a chronic condition for me and for most who ever have it, and the exercises are forever.

SI connected to the hip bone, hip bone connected to the groin bone and causes Sciatica pain. It can also start in lower back and then affect the SI and so on, but buttock pain is almost always SI JOINT. I paid a LOT of money to find this out.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
(female)

JanD HB User

Thanks Snickers...will check out SI exercises.
Janice

Old 04-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
(female)

Gloria028 HB User

Hi All
I too have pain in buttocks -
Who or where do you get excercies from ,for S1 problems ??

Old 04-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
(female)

JanD HB User

My lumbar MRI revealed DDD, a herniated disc and the worse diagnosis, severe spinal stenosis. I went to PT for 3 weeks and it helped. So now I do my PT exercises at home, use a stationary bike 15 min in the am and 15 min in the pm, plus a moist heating pad when needed.

I have seen a big improvement except for sleeping. I now sleep on my side with a small pillow between my knees which helps, but my legs seem to ache close to wake up time so I do arise earlier than before in order to get the circulation in the legs going. Am thinking of sleeping on my back with a wedge under my knees. Any thoughts?
Thanks. BTW I am 73 years old and have been told this is normal with aging.
Janice

Old 04-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
(female)

Bisous HB User

Oh, how well I know sciatica! Was in a car acc about 13 yrs. ago..messed up my back and no choice but to have surgery (L4/5) as my right leg was starting to go into paralisis...surgery failed. Discharged from PT and in a second acc two weeks after--that did me in! Have had several rounds of spinal shots to no avail, and PT to spare...NOTHING works! On disability now for that, and other med problems. Paid out- of-pocket for accupuncture (about eight visits) and the guy was right--he'd told me up-front it doesn't work for someone who'se had invasive surgery for that specific problem. My back hurts and I have sciatica of BOTH legs. On meds since first acc., with type of meds and mgs. getting stronger and higher. I am not a happy camper as I am in pain EVERY min. of EVERY day and in a constant state of "fog" because of the meds. I now suffer from arthritis, depression and anxiety along with confusion and short-term memory loss. Rotator cuff surgery for both shoulders now on the back-burner as they've recently found something wrong with my liver (caused by all the meds)...I could go on...

Please take good care of yourselves and don't let it get as bad as it's gotten for me.

P.S. I apologize for so much negativity, but please bear with me as all this has shot my pride to h... and I am too embarrassed to talk face-to-face to other people about my seemingly, never-ending medical problems.

Closed Thread