It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User
Hand cramps

I have been having terrible cramping in my hands were my fingers are all twisted and it will last for maybe a couple of minutes but there is nothing that I can do to that makes it stop. This started a couple of months ago. I have been diagnosed with RA but the doctor seems to be questionable on it because he thinks it is not full blown yet. Does anyone else have this cramping?

Thanks
Linda

Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Hand cramps

It depends on what you mean by cramping. Cramping usually refers to muscles and is different than the arthritic and tendon changes seen in moderate to severe RA.

Cramping fingers (and toes), where it feels like your fingers are curling up involuntarily, is called carpopedal spasm. It could be a sign of low vitamin D, thyroid problems or a malabsorption* of some kind. All of these are common in RA patients. I've had all three!

Only Celiac Disease gave me carpopedal spasms though, I guess my thyroid and vitamin D were caught early enough.

*Malaborption syndromes: basically anything that interferes with digestion and your ability to absorb nutrients: IBS, GERD, Celiac, gastroparesis, Crohn's, etc.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 01-16-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Thanks Auntie for your response and the information. You did actually describe it better then I did when you said they curl up unvoluntarily. Sometimes it will happen when I am using that hand and other times it just happens even if I am not using the hand at that time. I do have Hyperthyroid, IBS, GERD so maybe these are causing some of the problem. I do take Vitamin D and Magnesium because I have a lot of problems with my legs also. My Rheumatologist has me on Tramadol right now. I actually felt much better on the Methotrexate but it knocked my immune system out and I ended up in the hospital with a sever kidney infection.

When this happens my fingers are actually bent at the middle joint and sometimes the tip of my finger is crooked and pointing outward. You would think I am double jointed the way they bend.

Thanks again for your reply because I sure didn't know what was going on. My husband was shocked when he saw it happen the other night just out of the clear blue sky.

Take care
Linda

Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
(female)

warpig HB User

hi kyma3,
I have hand cramping but mine is from dystonia. They call it "writer's cramp" but it can be painful. I have to stop and wait for my hand to "catch up to me". I also have GERD, IBS and am a diabetic. I am going to see my dr tomorrow to talk to him about ruling out MS. I have not found much information about dystonia.

Good luck

Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
(female)

Ucare HB User

I've had sudden pain in my feet during the last month. It's the rteason I came onto this web site as I cannot physically enter my doctors because although my dr's practise have claimed all the money /subsidies & benifits the government handed out for dr's to make thier surgaries "disabled friendly" my Dr's didn't spend the money on this surgary so it takes 2x strong people to lift me & my wheelchair throu the door as long as there is a third person holding the selfclosing door. (for me to see my doc I need 3 people just to cross the threshold of the surgary).
& right now I cant ind or fund the costs of hiring 3 people to get me into the Quacks surgary. (Quack because if they really cared about thier patients they'd have had the disabled access sorted -they still havent even though the government made it law in 2002 with the disability independance acts.
(I haven't felt anything in my feet for years curtisty of a back injury after my ex husband & my exsister threw me down 2 flights of stairs when I caught them in bed together)

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Hey Warpig I thought about writer's cramp but it is in my left hand and I am right handed and it happens even when I am not even moving the hand. It happened again Sunday and my whole family couldn't believe it. I did get some lab work done last week when I saw my Rheumatologist because he said I could have low Potassium so I guess I will wait and see what the results are.

Thanks
Linda

Closed Thread