It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

thistlegirl HB User
Red lumps on fingers and RA

Hi I have had RA for most of my 30 years of life but now something new is happening.
I get small red lumps on my fingers, they range in size from pin head to pea size. They will flare up for anthing from 1 week to a month then disappear again. They can be painful to touch and are interfeering with my already limited grip.
This has been going on for months now and nobody seems to have any answers. One of my nurses and my GP mentioned a reaction to methatrexate but my Rhumie is not as confident

I am taking methatrexate 7.5mg, Remicade, and pain killers. I have been on these meds for at least 2 years, it is the longest i have lasted on any med without a reaction. The anoying thing is that the meds are working, i am the most mobile i have been in years.
Why does it always seem that just when you think that you are winning RA will throw something else at you.

Hoping for answers

Thistle girl

Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Red lumps on fingers and RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistlegirl View Post
Why does it always seem that just when you think that you are winning RA will throw something else at you.

LOL, having RA does seem like bowling - and we're the pins.

I get a rash of tiny dots or slightly larger sized vesicles on my hand joints, itchy and painful, my rheumy said it might have something to do with inflammation but there isn't any conclusive evidence, other than alot of RA patients get these. It's called pompholyx.

Your's sound larger though, more like ganglion cysts, they usually occur in the wrist but can pop out at the finger joints. I had a huge one on my wrist last year, the size of a golf ball. It just slowly went away by itself but my doc said that they do reoccur.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

thistlegirl HB User
Re: Red lumps on fingers and RA

Thanks, i have looked at images of what you suggested (not always a good idea but necessary.) I don't think they are cysts and not sure about the pompholyx.
I have sent pictures off to my doc to pass on to a dermatologist but who knows when i will get answers. It is one good thing about going into the hospital every 6 weeks for my Infliximab - i can nag them more!

I just got a manicure to make me feel better about my hands- i wonder if i can get the NHS to pay for it??

Closed Thread