It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

joni59 HB User
what can arthritis do to your spine and lower back

what can arthritis do to your spine and lower back, mine is stiff and hurts all the time and other joints too

Old 02-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: what can arthritis do to your spine and lower back

Hi,

I'm sorry you are in pain and I know how you feel as I also have spinal arthritis. It's hard to say what it might do in your particular situation, as it is different for everyone. Some surprisingly have evidence of arthritis, but not pain; some have very mild pain; some moderate; and some unbearable. Mine fits into the moderate to unbearable category. Plus mine seemed to progress unusually quickly. Mine caused facet joint hypertrophy and a lot of bony overgrowth, which in turn caused a great deal of compression on surrounding nerves. In 3 years, I went from occassionaly low back pain to the point of hardly being able to walk or stand anymore. But my situation was uncommon for my age, so my surgeon told me. And now my hip OA is progressing and causing more problems. I also supposedly have sacroilitis. I ended up needing to have surgery in order to try to get my life back and it did help a great deal. But again, this does not happen to everyone, so please do not get scared.

The bone overgrowth was pressing into a bunch of nerves coming off of my spine, as well as severely compressing a bundle of nerves in the lower spine called the cauda equina. The pain was so horrible I could not stand up straight nor bend back. Even just standing would set up severe muscle spasms, which spread up my entire back. It was not a fun way to live.

There are many treatment options available and it also depends on what exact type of arthritisi you have in your spine. I had tried a multitude of different anti-inflammatories, pain meds, patches, injections, etc...all without any relief. Well, no..actually early on I did try Bextra, which helped me a great deal and made my stiffness go away. But it was taken off the market. I also tried Celebrex several times, but it just didn't work the same for me. I ended up needing to take steroids for a while to get my pain under control and that was the only med that really helped, but one cannot take this long term. I had also gone ot physical therapy 3 times/week for about 2 years!! And even that did not help me. But you know, I think somethign more is going on with me, as this seems to run in my family on my mother's side. My grandma was wheelchair bound by her 40's; my aunt has hip problems and already had 1 hip replaced, but now her other hip is starting in. My uncle had hip and leg problems as a child already and had hips replaced very young. My mother resembles me as well...she cannot stand straight, is always stiff, and gets a lot of nerve pain around her hips and down her legs (as I did). I have read medical information that seems to say some OA may be genetically related and I am starting to think that is the case in my situation. Or, for all I know, I mihgt have some other type of undiagnosed arthritis.

Have you been diagnosed with spinal arthritis? If so, what type? And have you been started on any treatment plans at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybreeze View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry you are in pain and I know how you feel as I also have spinal arthritis. It's hard to say what it might do in your particular situation, as it is different for everyone. Some surprisingly have evidence of arthritis, but not pain; some have very mild pain; some moderate; and some unbearable. Mine fits into the moderate to unbearable category. Plus mine seemed to progress unusually quickly. Mine caused facet joint hypertrophy and a lot of bony overgrowth, which in turn caused a great deal of compression on surrounding nerves. In 3 years, I went from occassionaly low back pain to the point of hardly being able to walk or stand anymore. But my situation was uncommon for my age, so my surgeon told me. And now my hip OA is progressing and causing more problems. I also supposedly have sacroilitis. I ended up needing to have surgery in order to try to get my life back and it did help a great deal. But again, this does not happen to everyone, so please do not get scared.

The bone overgrowth was pressing into a bunch of nerves coming off of my spine, as well as severely compressing a bundle of nerves in the lower spine called the cauda equina. The pain was so horrible I could not stand up straight nor bend back. Even just standing would set up severe muscle spasms, which spread up my entire back. It was not a fun way to live.

There are many treatment options available and it also depends on what exact type of arthritisi you have in your spine. I had tried a multitude of different anti-inflammatories, pain meds, patches, injections, etc...all without any relief. Well, no..actually early on I did try Bextra, which helped me a great deal and made my stiffness go away. But it was taken off the market. I also tried Celebrex several times, but it just didn't work the same for me. I ended up needing to take steroids for a while to get my pain under control and that was the only med that really helped, but one cannot take this long term. I had also gone ot physical therapy 3 times/week for about 2 years!! And even that did not help me. But you know, I think somethign more is going on with me, as this seems to run in my family on my mother's side. My grandma was wheelchair bound by her 40's; my aunt has hip problems and already had 1 hip replaced, but now her other hip is starting in. My uncle had hip and leg problems as a child already and had hips replaced very young. My mother resembles me as well...she cannot stand straight, is always stiff, and gets a lot of nerve pain around her hips and down her legs (as I did). I have read medical information that seems to say some OA may be genetically related and I am starting to think that is the case in my situation. Or, for all I know, I mihgt have some other type of undiagnosed arthritis.

Have you been diagnosed with spinal arthritis? If so, what type? And have you been started on any treatment plans at all?
Baybreeze, that is actually almost to the tee with me but i also have local tenderness. I still am not sure i believe the theory on arthristis not showing up, its seems as if it progresses to someone being in a wheelchair they would(tests) would detect that severety. Just my two cents for what it's worth. I am so grumpy today with pain, can you tell?
Love, Monkey

Old 02-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Quote:
Hi,

baybreeze, how would one have a diagnosis of spinal arthritis?
Thanks bunches monkey

Old 02-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

My stenosis diagnosis came after having a lumbo-sacral MRI. My MRI showed several levels of central canal stenosis due to: osteophytes (bone overgrowth), thickening and buckling of a spine ligament (it buckled into spinal canal plus was overly thick, which also contributes to compression); as well as severel disk herniations. When I had surgery, they also found several levels of foraminal and lateral recess stenosis, which was not detected on the MRI. Stenosis was also highly suspected in me before my MRI just from my symptoms: I could no longer stand upright (this would give me severe pain in my low back, buttocks and down my legs); it was impossible to bend back at all; my walking distance declined very quickly, down to about 30 feet or so before I would have to collapse. I had severe back spasms, which were obvious to my doctors; The spasms at first were also in my buttocks and legs; I also developed sciatic pain on one side, then it ended up happening on both sides; And I was only able to shop if the store had a shopping cart to totally lean on. I could not walk around a store without hanging on a cart - and this is one of the tell-tale signs of stenosis. Also where my symptoms and pain were. Another sign is having to bend or stoop forward to get some relief of the pain. I also had signs of neurogenic claudication. So in all, I had all the signs of it (though I had never heard of it before my diagnosis) and MRI confirmed it for me. Although my Rheum immediately sent me for another MRI on my sacroiliac area because he was checking for Ankylosing Spondylitis. But MRI did not confirm any joint fusions anywhwere, so I guess he ruled that out. My case was quite severe, especially for my age and how quickly it progressed. The only option I had left was surgery.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
(female)

aliensweetie HB User

Hey this is sciatic pain that I have orthopedic Dr. told me I had arthritus in that particular joint diagnosis with flex test and getting an injection which help ..when he asked me where the pain was I pointed to it and he told me that was the sciatic joint.. ..it started with mild discomfort ...and about 2 years ago started getting injections which help alot... I have had rheumatoid for 1o years now..I am on rituxan and methotrexate.. I am able to walk a couple miles a day with orthotics and good shoes.. the injections are now about every six to nine months but the pain is getting worse.. i got a sciatic belt and it helps for the evening and exercise ..I dthink I will need some physica therapy so I know more of the best exericses .. I hope your pain is managable I have heard they do not like to do this type surgery unless it is ncessary.. maybe when it warms up it will ease up I pray..I hope your pain gets better.. meditation really helps me too..peace and love mary

Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

aliensweetie HB User

I left out I am 58 years old ..

Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joni59 View Post
what can arthritis do to your spine and lower back, mine is stiff and hurts all the time and other joints too
I feel for you, the worst for me is the am when i get up! It never makes sense to me. I am hopeing the pt can help and has experience with what going on with me!
Take care, monkey

Old 02-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Quote:
Hi,

baybreeze, what dr. do you see for OA? I seen a rheumy a while back but he didn't seem to think i have this. It runs bigtime in my family and i have almost all of the things you described.
take care, monkey

Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was seeing a Rheumatologist, then a surgeon for spine surgery, and now I see Pain Management. My surgery did help me alot (for stenosis), but I still have spinal OA, amongst other joints, which is noted in my med records from my Rheum as well. However, after surgery, my Rheum seemed to think I should be going back to my surgeon all the time, even though he knew I had arthritis. BUt I have some other strange things going on as well, that cannot possibly be related to my lower spine issues. Whatever. Now I see pain management all the time.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I am 39, have been quickly progressing with OA since I was 36, and have it all over too. What really messes me up on top of this is fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome. It makes the arthritis hurt so much more when they flare together! I too have stenosis, nerve impingement, and degenerative disc disease with bulging discs. I have had a laminectomy at L4-5 about 8 years ago and a year and half ago had fusion at C5-6 and was warned it would probably need to be done at C6-7 after the neurosurgeon went in. It is the pits to have to lean on a grocery cart just to go to the store, but then I have to remind myself I can go to the store! I do worry about my future as I am a divorced mom to a teen that will move on with his life in 2 1/2 years. I pray a lot and leave that up to the one above. I am still trying to find ways to make life less painful and easier to deal with. Comfort is always key in my life for clothing, shoes, furniture and especially bed. I have finally gotten a mattress that I can sleep on for most of the night and it has been a huge relief! The numbness and burning is frustrating and a new nerve(s) is now affected as it feels like something wet and cold is running down my leg at the oddest times. Of course I check and nothing is there. I am used to it in my left leg, but now it is in my right leg. SIGH....I hope that people that have found some relief through products, exercises or something will post on this board.
Mim Gregg

Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

mgreeg,
i get his same feeling and it feels like something wet and cold is running down my leg at the oddest times. Of course I check and nothing is there. I am used to it in my left leg, but now it is in my right !leg. SIGH....
I experience the same thing ! It is the strangest feeling to have. There has to be a dr. that can figure out what going i can only hope!
Take care, monkey

Old 02-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

may, i yet to find something that helps. What i was on before helped somewhat, but barely i don't know if anyone is ever totally pain free!
Takecare, monkey

Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
(male)

jchry HB User

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the post how much does it cost when you took your surgery ??

Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Jchry, spine surgery varies not only from area to area but procedure to procedure and doctor to doctor. I saw 2 neurosurgeon/spine surgeons both in Boston. One was new and charged me $315 for an initial appointment and he walked out after 15 minutes. The other had a world wide reputation and spent over half an hour with me and charged me $200.

As for surgery, I was fused from C3 to T1 and the surgeon's charge was $25,000 and the hospital was another $50,000+ and the physical therapy and after visits and meds, probably came to another $5000. But it was Boston. If I had had it back home in Connecticut, it probably would have been much less.

Really hard to translate costs form one city to another and one doc to another. But you'd better have some kind of insurance because spine docs are VERY expensive no matter where they are.

Closed Thread