It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Full body arthritis (OA)

Hi, I was dx with fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome and degenerative disc disease as well as needing an ACF at C5-6 after a really bad fall backwards onto tile flooring 3 1/2 years ago. Since then, I have developed full body arthritis that seems to have ramped up very quickly to horrible pain and more back issues. My rheumatologist confirmed the neuro's dx of arthritis in every joint of my body and is trying to work out medications to relieve inflamation, pain, and sleep issues.
Do many of you have full body arthritis and how do you deal with it on a daily basis? It has slowed me down to the point that going to church and doctor appointments is all I can handle. It is so frustrating as I was 36 and in a professional job as well as 2 part time jobs and raising my son on my own. I recently got approved for SSD (Thank GOD!) so at least that stressor is off me and am awaiting the paperwork to get that started. I spend so much time trying to gently stretch to be able to move my upper body then limp around when I walk. It is so frustrating. Also, is it typical to have your knees and ankles swell? I can just sit on the edge of my bed and then stand and boom, a knee or ankle or both gets excruciating pain and then swells. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This cold arctic weather is a pain in the body even here in South Carolina.
Mim Gregg

Old 02-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Full body arthritis (OA)

Mim Gregg,

Did your doctor recommend any dietary measures to fight or prevent inflamation? Inflamation is often brought on by poor diet and lack of exercise. Medications can cause side effects, then you might need more medications to deal with the side effects. I would at least try an anti-inflamation diet first.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-14-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Removed quote / word change

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks John! I will do some research on the anti inflammatory diet. I must admit I have never heard of one before, but they have dietary changes for just about everything. I am on anti inflammatory arthritis medicines, but when I flare it seems that nothing except rest and heat helps the pain. I know being overweight is not good, but because of some other issues I have my exercise ability is not like I would want it. I do multiple stretching exercises daily and if I miss the time I normally do these it is very obvious as to how I feel overall. Thanks for the input!
Mim Gregg

Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SassyInFL HB User

While you are doing the research on diet get yourself some of the Omega -3 oils. Flax oil, fish oil, or evening of primrose oil. Take 2 tablespoons of the flax, or 4 of the high potency fish oil or 2 to 4 of the EPO.
You may find that it helps greatly.
For me it was about 90%.
Good luck

Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Oh! Someone recently mentioned the flaxsee and fish oil, so I will definitely start on those!
Mim Gregg

Closed Thread