It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
(female)

djbrewer61 HB User
how quickly does Prednisone work?

how quickly does Prednisone work?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: how quickly does Prednisone work?

Prednisone usually works very quickly, though for some folks it may take a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

dj,

Welcome to the boards!

If there is an undiagnosed infection going on, prednisone may make some problems worse. Be very careful to note any changes in your thinking, your moods and behaviors, and your body in the months following treatment.

I developed some very nasty infections in the months following prednisone treatment, which doctors attributed to the prednisone (it suppresses the body's immune system).

Be aware of side effects...some that come immediately to mind are depression, monotone or deepening voice, infections...

Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User

Hi. I guess prednisone affects everyone differently. I was scared to death of taking this drug due to reading all of the nasty side affects. It took me almost two years to go on it. I had untollerable pain for the longest time. I finaly did and thank god i did. It helped me right away! I am on a couple of other drugs due to my Rhum. arthritis as well. I was on 15 mgs a day for a while and am cutting down slowly due to my Embriel injections. I didn't have any side affects due to the prednisone. I know it depends on the amount you take and for the time frame as well. Its been two years for me now. i just know that i would not be able to take care of my two kids if i wasn't taking the prednisone...

Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatishappening View Post
... I didn't have any side affects due to the prednisone. I know it depends on the amount you take and for the time frame as well.
Prednisonse is a godsend for some and I'm glad it worked for you (as it did for others I know). But people need to be aware that the dose and the time frame are NOT factors in side effects...I was on a minimal dose for 10 days and had side effects/infections that lasted up to 2 years after taking this med (the antibiotics used to treat the infections were directly responsible for some of the side effects but I wouldn't have had the infections had I not been on prednisone in the first place).

On the other hand, a family member took prednisone for 6 months to reduce her inflammation (her doctor did not allow longer usage becuase of potential problems) and had no problems with it at all!

What's important here is being an informed "consumer", knowing what to look for, and contacting one's health care team IMMEDIATELY if there are any adverse changes in one's health.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-18-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Closed Thread