It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
(male)

russ60 HB User
Question Turmeric use to Treat Arthritis?

I just read an article about the use of Turmeric to treat arthrtis inflammation -- in one of Dr Mercola's recent news letters.

Has anyone here used this herb to treat arthritis?
If so --what was the dose and the results?
I know it is used in India cooking.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Turmeric use to Treat Arthritis?

I don't know about the supplement. They'd have to show me a mountain of proof before I start taking one more pill!

I do eat "anti-inflammatory" foods on a regular basis and I avoid all trans-fats. Hard to say whether it's helped my arthritis or not. I do think I'm healthier in a general sense. Steadier blood pressure, lower weight, my cholesterol is very good - surprising for someone who's had RA as long as I have.

I make a great yellow rice and peas (turmeric spice turns the rice bright yellow). As a side dish with some lean chicken and steamed broccoli - yummy! It's a common spice in Thai cuisine as well.

Here's the NCCAM page on turmeric: [url]http://nccam.nih.gov/health/turmeric/[/url]

PS - you can drink it in a tea too. I've seen ginger and turmeric teas.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 02-22-2009 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Add Post Script

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Turmeric use to Treat Arthritis?

Turmeric is a wonderful anti-flammatory supplement. You can buy this in a regular supermarket in a spice form or in the Health Food supermarket. Turmeric is one of the spices which "warms up" our system. There are no doses on a use, you just add it as a spice to any foods. I cooked rise yesterday, I added it to the water (makes rise and other ingredients very pretty yellow color), I make stir fry - I use it on my veggies. To practically anything and everything. Cinnamon and Curry(has turmeric in it too) are very healthy spices too and "warms up" our bodies which helps with inflammation.
I am originally from Europe and we are very "big" on Naturopathic medicine; we used to pick herbs on a summer and had all winter tea made out of different herbs. I grow here raspberry bushes, black currant bushes, mint - pick their leaves in a summer and make tea all winter - so healthy for you!

Best of luck and don't be afraid to use turmeric - very healthy ingredient to any foods!

Closed Thread