It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
(male)

timglo HB User
pain in buttocks when walking

what could be causing pain in buttocks when walking

Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: pain in buttocks when walking

Arthritis in the hips or maybe sciatica (nerve pain)? Do you have any lower back problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

There is something caused piriformis syndrome that causes pain in the buttocks when walking and especially when going up stairs.

The piriformis muscle runs right under the sciatic nerve and sometimes the nerve even goes through it. The muscle is used in raising the thigh. If the muscle gets tight or inflamed, so does the sciatic nerve.

Try stretching before going walking. Let's suppose it's on the right side. Lay on your back(bed is fine) with your right knee up, foot on the bed. Take your left hand and pull the knee to the left. This stretches the muscle but pulling the hip away from the pelvis. You'll feel the pull in your butt. Helps me and my hubby. He has it badly from years of climbing up and down the side of a truck.

Worth a try!

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I have this bad too! I fell off the roof of my house a year ago and ain't been the same since. So many have told me I'm lucky to be alive as I hit concrete. I know I tore muscles and ligaments during the fall but wonder if I'm always going to hurt like this, not able to walk right or for long without looking like Chester. We have a pool and it's a God send when I can get in to swim or just about. Helps all my joints so much. I live in Texas can't use year round even though it's heated. Can't wait to start swimming again.
I get so embarresed not being able to clim the bleachers at my GD's games. I'm 56 but shouldn't be this bad at that age?

CharBerry

Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
Arthritis in the hips or maybe sciatica (nerve pain)? Do you have any lower back problems?

This happens to me all the time and I have sciatica and lower back problems. Herniates disks and such. I also have arthritis in my hip. My orthopedic surgeon gave me cortisone injections in the lower disks, 4 of them and it helped a lot.
Hope you feel better soon.
Jacqueline

Old 03-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

Gloria028 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timglo View Post
what could be causing pain in buttocks when walking
Hi timglo
I too am from the UK - Its hard to get help, with the overburdened NHS I find
I too get pain in buttocks ,particularly R side where the pain goes down my leg
I am told it comes from my lower back but i understand it can come from the hip also
I've managed to get a CT scan and I have a lot of issues coming from the lower back L4-5 and L5- S1
I have spinal stenosis+ herniated disc + a thing called lilolisthesis (unstable vertebrae)Also osteophytes impinging on the nerves

Have you heard of the X-stop? Its a spinal spacer and is available on the NHS It is inserted by minimally invasive surgery and only a new procedure
I'd love to find out more

Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User

Hi, I see my neurologist next month and I will ask him about it. We seem to have very similar problems. Have a great day.

Last edited by JacquelineH; 03-12-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fixing spelling yikes pretty bad speller

Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
(male)

tuffydog HB User
Wink Re: pain in buttocks when walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
There is something caused piriformis syndrome that causes pain in the buttocks when walking and especially when going up stairs.

The piriformis muscle runs right under the sciatic nerve and sometimes the nerve even goes through it. The muscle is used in raising the thigh. If the muscle gets tight or inflamed, so does the sciatic nerve.

Try stretching before going walking. Let's suppose it's on the right side. Lay on your back(bed is fine) with your right knee up, foot on the bed. Take your left hand and pull the knee to the left. This stretches the muscle but pulling the hip away from the pelvis. You'll feel the pull in your butt. Helps me and my hubby. He has it badly from years of climbing up and down the side of a truck.

Worth a try!

gentle hugs...........Jenny
Thanks Jenny. I just tried it and yes you could feel the muscle being stretched. Do you know how many times you have to do this exercise and for how long do you need to stretch the muscle? Do you alternate between the left and right leg? I'd love to know.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
(female)

zklo HB User

Thanks Jenny, I'll try it. Doc gave me muscle relaxant but doesn't seem to be doing much. Right now I'm also taking extra Tylenol.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
(female)

zklo HB User

Have had some lower back pain off and on for years. But nothing like this sharp pain in my butt (really). First noticed outside edge of my left foot hurting. Doc gave me muscle relaxant, but now it is more in my butt. My hips have been hurting some when I sleep on my side (all the time).

Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
(female)

zklo HB User

Thanks for doing this. It isn't fun to hurt like this huh?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Hi Zklo...I think you have 2 different things going on here. The pain you describe in your butt, low back and the outside of your left foot are characteristic of a pinched nerve in your lower back. You should have your back checked, preferably with a lumbar MRI to see if you have herniated a disk.

But the pain in your hips when you lie on your sides is most likely bursitis. There are huge bursas on the sides of you hips that keep the powerful leg muscles moving smoothly and when the get inflamed, they just ache and can make every step painful. That can be treated with cortisone shots to the bursas....pain will go away slowly but surely but can return unless you learn to stay off your hips when sleeping.

If you have a pinched nerve in your back, that is another whole set of problems and I'd love to have you join up on the Back Problems board.

Hugs............Jenny

Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
(female)

zklo HB User

So the pain in my butt (really) is a strain according to the physical therapist. I have no idea why/how I got it. Seems to be the worst when I first get out of bed for a couple of hours, actually made my cry. Wow!
Doing a MRI this week, and doing streches, etc.
Think I can take Aleve and Tylenol together for the pain?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Yes, you can take Aleve and Tylenol together. I'm glad you are getting the MRI to rule out nerve compression in your back.

But let me also suggest you go back and read my response #3 in this tread about Piriformis Syndrome...another possibility.

Let me know what the tests say, Okay?

Hugs..............Jenny

Closed Thread