It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
(female)

zoe35 HB User
why do my knees crunch?

why do my knees crunch? I'm only 35 years old and been to the doctors twice, they said it was wear and tear and that i would just have to suffer it, i am so frustrated as the feel and the sound of the crunching makes me feel sick as it is like nails going down a blackboard to me. I have to go up or down stairs in a strange way so it dosn't hurt or do it as much and if you are out in public it is not a good thing, people think your behaving like an idiot. I am going back to my doctors in the hope they can do something. Please has anyone any advice? x

Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: why do my knees crunch?

Have you seen an orthopedist? If you're getting lots of pain they can do arthroscopic surgery to clean out the knee joint and smooth out the cartilage. It used to be considered a good way to slow arthritis but they've now proved it doesn't.....just makes you feel less pain for a while.

Sorry to tell you this but you're growing older and you have osteoarthritis in your knees. Join the group. You are now paying for the sports and other things you did as a kid. I've had artificial knees since I was 47. Some people it hits early and some people get it late. I started crunching as a teen.

Wish I had better news....gentle hugs.............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
(female)

zoe35 HB User

Thanks Jenny. I went back to my doctors today and she said it was osteoarthiritis too, she is sending me for an x-ray to see what is going on. I'm not too sure what to expect really afterwards.
She told me to take anti-inflamitory tablets but she forgot to write me a prescription out. I have suffered this long without tablets though so i might aswell wait to see what happens after the x-ray when i go back to see her.
I also have a very sore thumb knuckle joint and mentioned this to her and she said i had strained it, even though it started round about the same time as my knees months ago.
I was worried as i thought i could have gout as the symptoms sounded similar.
Anyhow, thankyou so much for your reply and i will keep in touch.
Did it hurt getting artificial knee caps? and do you manage o.k with them?
sorry to be nosey but i worry if i have to have surgery or something similar.

Many thanks and kind regards.
Zoe. x Big hugs back. x

Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Zoe, Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory. You do not need a Rx.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
(female)

zoe35 HB User

Hi, Thankyou for the info Hopalong,
I used to take ibuprofen as i have a neck problem too that i have had for years due to a car crash and a fall later on, i had to take them because the stronger prescription ones the doc gave me were too much for my stomache, but to be honest they didn't really help.
I am falling to bits-must be my old age creeping-up on me. Although it does run in the family.
I do get very tired of going to my G.P and getting nowhere, they all tell you different things, so i end-up very confused and don't want to go back as it just upsets and frustrates me more. I feel they get quite complacent after a while of being at the surgery.
Thanks again. x

Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

My artificial kneecaps came along with artificial knees. So yeah, it hurt.

On the ibuprofen, the trick is to take them everyday even if you feel okay so the same amount of anti-inflammatory drug stays in your bloodstream and keeps the inflammation down. So if you get relief taking 2 3x a day, keep taking 2 3x a day. but your doc may have something better to offer once you have the x-rays done.

gentle hugs.................Jenny

Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
(female)

zoe35 HB User

Thankyou Jenny,
I will try that, i suppose just two x ibuprofen @ 200Mg should be o.k. although i used to get 400Mg off the doctor at one point, i will try them for now till i get looked at the hospital. Even though it hurt getting your knee op i assume your glad of your new knee's etc... Many thanks. Zoe.X

Closed Thread