It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
(male)

pensac HB User
Acetaminophen & NSAIDs taken together

Cedars-Sinai Hospital states (online) "Acetaminophen & NSAIDs can be taken at the same time". Has anyone tried this combination for pain relief?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Acetaminophen & NSAIDs taken together

My docs tell me to do the same thing and I can tell you they work GREAT! I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and the only thing I take for pain is 2 Arthritis Tylenol(they last for 8 hours instead of 4) and anywhere from 2-4 200mg. ibuprofens(they last about 6 hours). Four 200mg ibuprofens is the max at any one time and shouldn't be taken too often as they can hurt your stomach but if you really hurt, it gets you started and then you can use lower doses.

As someone who has bottles of morphine, Dilaudid and Demerol in her bedside drawer, I can tell you I'd rather do the acetaminophen and ibuprofen combination. No nausea, no "floating or out of it feeling", and pain relief almost as good. I was just in the ER the other night and the doc there agreed with me. He said most patients won't accept it as they think if it's over the counter it can't be that good but it is. Seems acetaminophen and ibuprofen especially enhance each other.

Try it!

gentle hugs..................Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
(male)

pensac HB User

Jenny- you say that a Tylenol/ibuprofen combo is good. What about an Aleve/Tylenol combo? Which combo did your doc agree was good? Thanks for all your input.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I haven't tried it with Aleve as Aleve is more toxic to my stomach. I took it when it was still an Rx drug. So I stick with the ibuprofen. Try and see!

Jenny

Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
(male)

pensac HB User

Jenny- if the acetaminophen/ibuprofen combo & the acetaminophen/Aleve combo are equally as effective,would there be anything to be gained by alternating them? One of the combos one day,the other one the next day,etc. I tried the aceta/ibu last night as you had suggested & the results were great.(thanks). I'm wondering if I might have anything to gain by even bothering to consider the aceta/Aleve combo? What do you think, please?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

I wouldn't alternate. The effect is from developing a constant level of the anti-inflammatory drug in your blood and by switching off every other day, , you aren't getting a consistent dose. I like the ibuprofen because it's CHEAPER than Aleve and it's generics. It is also less likely to cause the heart and blood pressure effects that have been discovered with all NSAIDS. It's been around forever and was the first NSAID allowed over the counter and has a good track record of being safe.

If it worked, keep it up. Glad it helped!

Jenny

Old 03-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #7
(male)

pensac HB User

Thanks for the info- I'll stick with the ibuprofen as you suggest. Last of my questions(I hope):- Do you know if I should contnue with the Low Dose(81mg)aspirin that I've been taking or is there a problem with mixing it with the acetaminophen & ibuprofen? Your kind help is certainly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Shouldn't be a problem since it is such a low dose. Just don't take it at the same time as the ibuprofen. My doc has me take my aspirin at bedtime since most heart attacks occur first thing in the morning. Might try that.

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Old 03-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
(male)

pensac HB User

Jenny-the acetaminophen/ibuprofen has been working so well, I'm wondering if I should consider soon to stop the meds or would the pain probably return & I'd have lost the benefits of a constant level of dosage . Please, what do you think? Thanks.

Closed Thread