It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

sundare HB User
Anyone have spinal anesthesia for ankle surgery?

Hi!

I am having ankle arthrodesis (ankle fusion) on Friday of next week and am not sure which anesthesia to choose. I have had 2 hip replacements in the past with total anesthesia, I didn't have any problems with it, but also each time freaked me out! The thought of NOT having to be put under is both exciting and frightening. The thought of being able to hear everything that is going on makes me sick to my stomach, but so does being put under! AAAAHH! I am wondering if any of you guys had spinal anesthesia and if you were aware of everything or if you were so groggy and sedated, you really didn't know what was going on. And, if you did have spinal anesthesia, would you go that route again? Do the doctors communicate with you when you're awake with spinal anesthesia? When you woke up, were you still groggy like with general anesthesia? I heard that with spinal anesthesia, you're surgical pain isn't as bad because you're still numb.

Any help from you guys would be GREAT!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Anyone have spinal anesthesia for ankle surgery?

I didn't have spinal anesthesia for my subtalar joint fusion (just below the ankle) and I wish I had! I was suppose to but at the last minute the anesthesiologist decided they'd need to intubate me before surgery because my esophagus is too tiny! It would be dangerous if something happened and they needed to intubate me fast.

I'd go with the spinal!!! They'll put you in twilight, you probably won't remember a thing. Whatever you choose, good luck! I know I've never regretted my S/T fusion, it's made it much easier to get around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
(female)

sundare HB User

Had my surgery on Friday, went with the spinal! Wonderful! This is a post for all those who aren't sure which route to go, if your doctor offers spinal anesthesia, go for it! You get all the benefits of general anesthesia because they give you a sedative and it completly knocked me out! But, when you "wake up" unlike general, you are completely and totally aware of your surroundings! I contemplated over and over about which anesthesia to go with, thank you to all who replied here, your comments are really what guided my decision. Hope everyone is feeling good!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I've had spinal, epidural and general. The spinal didn't take as I had significant spinal arthritis and parts of my legs didn't go numb(it was knee surgery). And generals always make me throw up for days. But I had a version of a spinal in an epidural(what they give for delivery)for having both knees replaced. I drifted in and out for the whole 8 hour surgery and it was fine. No sickness after wards. If you can do a spinal, try it or ask about an epidural.

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Closed Thread