It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

sameeksha HB User
Arthritis of the Brain

wat do u mean by arthritis of the brain? wat are the symptoms and the effects?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Arthritis of the Brain

I think 'arthritis of the brain' might refer to Rheumatoid Vasculitis, it's a rare complication of severe, long term RA. It causes inflammation of the blood vessels. In the brain vasculitis can cause alot of trouble; headaches, problems thinking clearly or "brain fog" and stroke-like symptoms. Treatment is usually corticosteroids (brands like prednisone or decadron) and drugs like methotrexate (brand name Rheumatrex) or azathiaprine (brand name Imuran or Azasan).

Other diseases can cause various forms of vasculitis too and can effect all parts of the body, like Giant Cell Arteritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Central nervous system (CNS) vasculitis and Polyarteritis Nodosa.

Here's an info page on vasculitis:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/vas/vas_whatis.html

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 04-14-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Arthritis of the Brain

Rheumatoid vasculitis does not have to occur as a result of long term serve RA. My RA started with cerebral vasculitis in the small vessels of my brain. I have headaches, TIA symptoms, and the worst part, vasculitis of the optic nerves that interfers with my ability to see. Vasculitis can occur in the small, medium or large blood vessels and can cause aneurysms in the medium and large vessels. I'm awaiting surgery right now for an aneurysm in the splenic artery. A little known symptom of not only RA but other forms of inflammatory arthritis. So If you've been told you have arthritis in your brain, you need to work with a good rheumatologist. There are lots of new drugs out there to treat this.

gentle hugs..................Jenny

Closed Thread