It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User
severe osteoarthritis of spine

I had a MRI back in Jan 09 which showed spinal cord compression and severe osteoarthritis of the spine. My question is can the pain that I'm having in my hands, hips, knees, and ankles be due to the OA in the spine or would there be OA in those joints also.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: severe osteoarthritis of spine

Hi my friend. Nice seeing you here too. I know more about arthritis than necks.

OA can hit almost every joint in the body but there are a few it tends not to hit. So if you have it in your spine, the chances are you have it elsewhere.

Arthritis breaks down into 3 catagories....non-inflammatory, inflammatory and infectious. OA is non-inflammatory but it does include traumatic(arthritis from an injury) and there is a suspicion that at least one form of the disease may have an inflammatory element(early onset). The joints it tends NOT to hit are the wrists and the hand knuckles(as opposed to finger knuckles). Is your pain in any of those joints?

I've had OA since my late teens and my wrists were always fine except for carpal tunnel. Then my wrists turned red and hot 5 years ago and now I have rheumatoid on top of it. RA likes the top 2 vertebrae in the neck whereas OA likes C3 and below. RA rarely hits the lower spine but I found out I have it when my RA meds stopped the pain. So it can.

After your ACDF you may want to start seeing a rheumatologist to get the rest of your joints under control. Don't want to join me in the "new knee club". I'm going to be joining the "new hip club" before too long. And you most certainly don't want to join the "fuse the whole neck club"!

Talk to you here and on the spine board.

giant bear hugs............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
(female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

Hi Jenny

I know my gp says that it's severe in the spine c5/6 c6/7 area. Both of my Dr's are pleased that I am finally having surgery, they were very concerned/worried that I was waiting so long to have it. The pain is basically in the spinal area between upper shoulder blades, fingers(bad - left side more), hips(bad), knees(so-so), ankles(bad). Sometimes when I step on my feet the bottom of my feet hurt like I'm stepping on rocks. The wrists doesn't hurt but sometimes the elbows do and I get quick stabbing pains in forearms bottome side more so towards the elbows and in the back of my calves also. So, I'm not sure what is the OA and what could be the spinal cord compression.

Not that I don't like you guys but being a member of the acdf club is enough for me. I have 4 sisters - I think my sister that passed 4 yrs ago had Arthritis and I know that 2 others for sure have OA, 1 sister as well as I were in car accidents almost 11 yrs ago within months of each other which we were both rear-ended at a red lights. In mine i was pushed through the intersection and hit the steering wheel with the bridge of my nose and then my head went flying back into the seat. so i'm sure all of this stuff stems from that. I was being seen by a Dr. but the company I was working switched insurances so I was without medical for about a month so there was a pause in between Dr visits which hurt my case. My daughter or i didn't receive much of a settlement. Some lady that I worked with at the time said to watch myself cause I'll feel it in ten years and boy was she right. So warning to anyone who reads this make sure to keep up on dr visits and don't miss any and report every symptom you have no matter how big or little it is.......

Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Yeah, that sounds pretty much like OA with some tendinitis in the elbow and Achilles tendons. That accompanies the OA.

Once you get your neck fixed it will take some time to see what stays and what goes. The "rocks in the feet" problem could be neck or could be what is known as Morton's neuromas...small growths on the nerves of your feet that also frequently accompany OA. They feel like rocks as they are like having rocks inside your feet!

So get that neck fixed and head for a rheumatologsit. There's a lot that can be done now for OA. The artificial joint fluids are worth their weight in gold in the knees and they are now testing them in other joints. Soothes! And a cortisone shot here and there also helps a lot. You can feel better!

gentle hugs..............Jenny

Closed Thread