It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

Avenue Q HB User
Bursitis/or Spetic Bursitis

This may not be the correct forum to ask about anything other then a Arthritis related questions. I don't have Arthritis...what I've been total a few weeks ago I now have bursitis. I had swelling in my neck girdle/shoulders now for 11 yrs. Which was caused by cortisteriod injections to stop pain in buttocks/down my leg. This was pain from a (Piriformis Muscle) injury I sustained not sicatica that they said it was. Little is was known of a piriformis problem...doctor's only recongize sciatica. Today doctor's know more.

Doctor's seems to hide the factor the injections caused the swelling. But in my unprofessional medical opinion , I think it's more of a (Spectic Buristis) If anyone has any input please let me no.. Being the swelling has been laying in the same pocket around my neck. It has to be a stagnant enity of somekind if it never was fluid to begin with nor to date. So its just sitting and waiting maybe with bacteria to became infected.

I really thank you all for allowing me to vent. I appreicate any feedback.
Wishing you all better days

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Bursitis/or Spetic Bursitis

I've had bursitis all over my body for years as part of a chronic arthritic problem. I know there are some bursas in the back especially under the shoulder blade but have not heard of any in the back of the neck. I'm sure there are but they haven't gotten me yet. But what I do know is that even an inflamed bursa hurts like he&& and an infected bursa would hurt even more. You wouldn't be able to take the pain for that long and it would eventually burst and spread the infection.

But I also have that swollen area around the back of my neck. It's a common side effect of steroids and it's made of fat. I remember my daughter being very sick at age 7 and had to go on heavy steroids and even she got that fat deposit on her upper back/neck area as well as the "moon face". And yes, steroid shots can cause it....it still gets into your blood stream. It's also a diagnostic criteria for Cushings Syndrome where the adrenal glands make too much cortisol.

And fat deposits can become inflamed. It's called pediculitis(If I recall)and can be quite uncomfortable. Try heat and anti-inflamatories like ibuprofen and see if the pain goes away(you didn't say if it hurt but I'm assuming it does).

And I agree with your assessment with the piriformis syndrome. My husband has it and it took forever to get diagnosed. Now he does some stretches and takes his wallet out of his back pocket and he's fine!

Hope this has been some help..............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread