It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Osteoarthritis/Post Traumatic Question

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this question, but I figured I would try.

Dec of 2000 I fell and broke my ankle - pilon fracture. I later developed post traumatic arthritis (osteoarthritis) in my ankle. I had several procedures to try and help me, but eventually in 2006 I had to have my ankle fused in order to help relieve the pain.

My ankle pain continued. After many complaints to my doctor, in fall 2008 the dr diagnosed me with osteoarthritis in my subtalar joint (the joint right below my ankle). An MRI or CT (I can't remember which) revealed that the arthritis was not severe, but not mild, so my os called it moderate. We tried an injection of corticosteroid, but it didn't work. The next step was to fuse it. The dr said the osteoarthritis in my subtalar joint could have been there since the fracture in 2000 and just masked by all of the pain and trauma in my ankle. OR there is a possibility it developed after the accident due to my altered gait and pressure put on it from all of the procedures done to my ankle - includin the fusion just two years earlier.

So, now my subtalar joint is fused - Dec 2008 and the screws were removed July 2009. When the surgeon got in there, he discovered the arthritis was much worse than what he was able to see or what was there when we had the MRI/CT scan done. He was very surprised that it was that bad and commented - "I'm glad we did this now - It was really bad!" I'm not sure if it progressed that much between the scan and the surgery, or if he just wasn't able to see it well until he actually opened it up.

While my ankle and subtalar joints feel great now that they are fused and I am walking better than ever before, I have one remaining pain. On the outside of my foot in about the middle of the length from my heel to my little toe my foot will throb at night or if I stand too long. The dr thinks it is tendon/ligament pain, but I can't help but wonder if it is arthritis again - there is a joint right there as well. So, we tried a topical anti-inflammatory that didn't work combined with Mobic and other pain meds. Now, we are going to try a steroid treatment using ultrasound to ease the pain.

You are probably wondering - what on earth is her question??? Well, I want to know if it is possible for osteoarthritis to develop so quickly - my subtalar joint was just fused last December? But then again, my subtalar joint arthritis could have developed very rapidly as well. And how would I know if my latest pain - which actually started before the subtalar joint was fused - is arthritis or if it is tendon/ligament. I'm worried that this pain will turn into an issue just like the ankle and subtalar joints.

Any information or knowledge you can share will be appreciated. I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to include all of the necessary facts!

Thank you very much!
Step

Last edited by stepbystep89; 09-12-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: left out some important details... ;)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread