It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
(female)

kate511 HB User
Angry Symmetric pain in multiple joints- any ideas?

Hi all,
Here is my story, hoping you all might be able to help:

I have been having terrible joint pain (that keeps me awake at night and does not respond to ibuprofen or percoset) in my ankles, wrists elbow and sometimes knees and shoulders. Ironically, I have a "bad" hip that does not seem to be affected at the same times as my other joints. These joint pains seem to flare up every couple of months and then subside. Right before the joint pain begins I get a seizing type of pain/feeling in my back and also a tightening feeling that goes around to my front. I should mention that my abdominal muscles are separated from having a multiple pregnancy, so I wonder if that could just be bad support.

In the past, I had a septic hip when I was a child which resulted in several corrective surgeries. I had a case of costochondritis about 7 years ago, my hair seems to be coming out in clumps in the shower (but did have a baby 5 months ago), I have problems tolerating bright light, my temperature often feels out of whack- hot flash like symptoms, I developed a strange rash on my lower underarms during my last pregnancy and an allergic reaction to adhesives and cephalosporins after a prior pregnancy. I also get gestational thrombocytopaenia with every pregnancy. Just recently I started having panic attacks. I have had a couple of incidences of psoriasis on my left elbow which started within the past few years.

My joints get clicky when I move and sometimes my achilles tendon on my right side hurts. The joint pain can be unbearable but then it seems to subside and I don't do anything until it comes back. I am thinking about seeing a rheumatologist to have some testing done, b/c I don't think this is all in my head anymore!

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated...I feel like my family and friends think I am a hypochondriac but I know that I am not!

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Symmetric pain in multiple joints- any ideas?

You mentioned you've had psoriasis....are you aware of psoriatic arthritis? It is a type of arthritis called spondyloarthropathy...meaning it involves the lower spine as well. So your back problems and symetric joint problems may all be the same disease.

Gett to a rheumatologist as this arthritis can be very bad if not treated and kept under control. There are new drugs to treat it as well as the older drugs for any kind of inflammatory arthritis.

You're not a hypocondriac....they invent illness where none exists. You have problems with no name to them yet. Bet you it turns out to be PA.

good luck............Jenny(RA and OA but no PA)

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
(female)

kate511 HB User

Thanks for your reply, Jenny! I made an appointment with a Rheumatologist for this Thursday. I really hope she doesn't blow me off..hope she's good! Maybe I will finally get some answers.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
(female)

limpy in limbo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate511 View Post
Hi all,
Here is my story, hoping you all might be able to help:

I have been having terrible joint pain (that keeps me awake at night and does not respond to ibuprofen or percoset) in my ankles, wrists elbow and sometimes knees and shoulders. Ironically, I have a "bad" hip that does not seem to be affected at the same times as my other joints. These joint pains seem to flare up every couple of months and then subside. Right before the joint pain begins I get a seizing type of pain/feeling in my back and also a tightening feeling that goes around to my front. I should mention that my abdominal muscles are separated from having a multiple pregnancy, so I wonder if that could just be bad support.

In the past, I had a septic hip when I was a child which resulted in several corrective surgeries. I had a case of costochondritis about 7 years ago, my hair seems to be coming out in clumps in the shower (but did have a baby 5 months ago), I have problems tolerating bright light, my temperature often feels out of whack- hot flash like symptoms, I developed a strange rash on my lower underarms during my last pregnancy and an allergic reaction to adhesives and cephalosporins after a prior pregnancy. I also get gestational thrombocytopaenia with every pregnancy. Just recently I started having panic attacks. I have had a couple of incidences of psoriasis on my left elbow which started within the past few years.

My joints get clicky when I move and sometimes my achilles tendon on my right side hurts. The joint pain can be unbearable but then it seems to subside and I don't do anything until it comes back. I am thinking about seeing a rheumatologist to have some testing done, b/c I don't think this is all in my head anymore!

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated...I feel like my family and friends think I am a hypochondriac but I know that I am not!

Thanks

Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
(female)

limpy in limbo HB User

Hi, sounds like rheumatoid arthritis, btu could be lupus. Please find a good thorough Rheumatologist adn if he is nto good to you sind antoher one. I thought I had the best, btu when he could nto diagnose my RA and I could hardly bear it eventually I found antoher one when ins. changed, btu wished I had searched sooner. You must be your own advocate. I am struggling with ankle, foot pain now after an ankle replacement. would like some answers. I am on here searching now. good luck, keep ;ursuing help. it is out there.

Closed Thread