It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
Celebrex effect on esophagus -- will it heal with time?

So far, my experience with Celebrex is worrisome. I took an initial 8-day trial of samples received from GP (200 mg twice daily) for RA. Later, I filled my prescription with 100 mg capsules to give flexibility in dosing. While taking these twice a day for less than a week, my esophagus (all the way from the back of my throat to my stomach) felt like it had been reamed out by a wire brush. I stopped for a few days, then started again for a few days, taking only one capsule per day. I felt so uncomfortable, that only lasted for a few days, at which time I stopped the medication entirely. It's been about five days now, and my esophagus still feels extremely raspy, I occasionally have trouble swallowing, and it sometimes feels like something is stuck partway down. Will this improve in time? I'm hoping this medication isn't so dangerous, it causes permanent damage. Does anyone have experience with this?

Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Celebrex effect on esophagus -- will it heal with time?

I have experience with Celebrex but not with the problem you are experiencing. I have GERD but do not take anything for it. I am taking Celebrex 200mg twice daily as well. This is about the middle of the second month for me. It sure helps more than the diclofenac sodium although it diminishes the pain......doesn't get rid of it. The only side effect I have so far is a lowered kidney function. It has gone from 93% (pre Celebrex) to 67% now so we are monitoring that. Maybe you could ask the pharmacist about the side effect you are having? Maybe the doctor could switch you to something else. There are SO many NSAIDs just that Celebrex is, I believe, the only cox2 inhibitor left on the market. Is it possible that you picked up a bug and it is not the Celebrex? Hoppy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

My doctor is suggesting I try Celebrex and I'm all for it because I'm tired of the pain I have. However, I was hoping it doesn't cause stomach problems because if it does I can't take it.

hopalong_too -how did you find out that the medication decreases your kidney function, just wondering if you have to get a specific test.

Sensitivo- are you taking any PPI medication to protect your stomach?

Last edited by taape; 11-22-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Taape, My doctor says Celebrex is much easier on the stomach as it is only a cox-2 inhibitor but I have read that other Prescription NSAIDs are OK as long as you take them with a stomach protecting drug. I don't know if the drug is causing kidney function to decrease or if it is from another cause. My GFR has been getting lower. You can check that with an equation and a measure of your creatinine.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thanks for the information Hopa long. I will ask about taking the PPI with the medication if I need. I've got to have some pain relief.

Closed Thread