It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User
Swollen thumb

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my right thumb was almost twice the size of the left one. I had no pain in the thumb. Now two weeks later the swelling has somewhat gone down but the right thumb is still much thicker than the left one. I do feel some pain in the thumb and it also feels warm.
About two months ago I was stung by a bee on my right middle finger. I saw the bee stinging me. The pain was excruciating and the finger swelled a lot. When I noticed that my thumb was swollen I assumed that something had bit me again although I didn't feel any pain.
My thumb is swollen down to the base and it hurts to do simple tasks, like write (I am right handed). Does this sound like arthritis?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
(female)

monina HB User
Re: Swollen thumb

I have a terribly swollen thumb. Went to the Dr. and was told it's osteoarthritis. Every once in a while I get a burning pain. Was told to take Advil or Motrin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: Swollen thumb

I woke up with these same symptoms one morning after holding a book open to read the night before with my right hand. I could barely use my thumb for 3 days. It slowly went away, I thought, then the weather got very cold and we had snow storms and it got bad again. I went to the doc and it's basal joint arthritis. I was put on a very short course of steroids and given a brace to wear. This helped immensely, short term, now it's back to acting up again. I read and was told that women are way more prone to this type of arthritis. I am supposed to go back for a followup, but even the doc said that the shot is not very fun, I do not plan to have it, because that is also very often short term. I guess I will just put up with it unless it gets so I cannot move it again! It feels great with damp heat, and is better than it was, but will get bad again if the weather gets bad. You may want to go to your doctor and try the brace, which covers your whole hand and holds your thumb still so it has a chance to heal, and the doc can tell you which anti imflammatory meds works or prescribe some for you. This is the first course of treatment for this, then the injection, only if you decide you want one, then surgery. Good luck and I hope you get some relief.

Closed Thread