It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
(male)

will14 HB User
Long term pain relief for shoulder arthritis?

I am a 30 yo male and have had pain for about a 7-8 months in my shoulder, I got laid off in December and delayed my visit until march because I was hoping that the pain was just a strain or something minor (I know I should've went right away) and would go away. The problem is the pain never went away so I got an Xray that showed arthritis on the shoulder joint and the MRI showed inflamation of the tendon which he believes is caused from arthritis between the collarbone and shoulder blade (AC joint I believe).
Anyways I got a cortizone shot two weeks ago and the pain never went away now my GP wants me to go to an orthopedic surgeon for possible arthroscopic surgery. The problem is I have to go back to work next week and cannot afford to miss work and would like to delay this until I get laid off again. I remember last october to december that the pain was severe and since I work 15 hr days on my feet and using my arms constantly overhead the pain can get to be unmanageable (even with NSAIDS, acetimiophen, Omega3's and glucosamine). I guess I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on managing the pain for the next 7 months and possibly longer since I doubt the surgery will help the pain completely. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
(female)

patricia218 HB User
Re: Long term pain relief for shoulder arthritis?

I'm no expert, but sounds to me like your problem is work-related. If you continue to do the same thing, you will be aggravating the problem and it will just get worse. Can't hurt to try I suppose, and then you would have to stop working anyway. I have arthritis in my neck and shoulder, which is work-related from working for years on a computer. Luckily, it caught up with me just as I was retiring, so I was able to stop aggravating it every day. It does bother me at times (I use a computer at home), so I just slow down with whatever I'm doing and use a heating pad and an ice pack alternatively, plus ibuprofen (always on a full stomache). Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Will. I've had surgery on both shoulders for arthritis so thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. It sounds like they are talking about arthritis in the AC joint, not the actual shoulder joint. The AC joint is on top of the shoulder whereas the shoulder joint itself is on the side. Osteoarthritis(wear and tear arthritis) is very common in the AC joint. And just to make things worse, there is a major tendon that goes over the joint(the one you have inflamed) and a gigantic bursa underneath it. I can tell you from personal experience that the bursitis in that joint is more painful than anything else and is probably what you have.

That said, the question becomes why you have that much pain even if it is bursitis and tendinitis. The AC joint can easily get bone spurs from overuse and those bone spurs dig into the bursa and the tendon and there is the cause of your pain. So they do surgery and cut off the end of the collarbone and *presto*...problem solved. Not only are the bone spurs gone, the bone is too so it can't reform. It is one time that they really can get rid of the pain for good.

For now, get the MRI and find out what is the problem and if the surgery is the answer. You'll be in good company if you do....one of the gold medal Olympic swimmers had the same surgery 2 days after the close of the Olympics. But in the meantime, you can do more cortisone shots which should help some. Anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen are good. I used a lot of ice packs to take down swelling. Physical therapy can help you strengthen the muscles and take some of the strain off the joint.

If you do need the surgery(called a distal clavicle excision), it is usually done through scopes so it is same day surgery. I had 4 Band Aids on when I came home. I was in a sling for 1 day and then slowly started to use it. No PT required and I was back to work in 10 days(pretty physical work too). It continues to hurt for a while because the bone has to heal but was so much better! I never took a single pain pill after surgery....it felt that much better.

Let us know what the MRI says and if you need more info or have more questions, we'll be here.

good luck.............Jenny

Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
(female)

Doll Baby HB User

I have arthritis in neck and shoulders i know windy days and damp days make it teribble had steriod epidurals helped but really you cant do much for arthritis your job could effect it what type of work do you do ? My neck pain into my head started again today it was a windy damp day been up with pain all night tightness in head and neck anyone else have this or any suggestions?
anti inflamatories is all they say to take and try a shower with water as warm as you can take i think the pain causes stress and that makes things worse

arthritis does not get better you can try pain management does damp days or windy days make it worse?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
(male)

shoulder12 HB User

im 48.. also have arthritis (and old sports injuries). i have had AC joint decompression on both shoulders ("Mumford Procedure:" i think it's called). these helped me a lot.

i also had to wait several months before each of these procedures (which were about 5 years apart). before the surgery, i found that physical therapy just aggrevated my pain... Also, my shoulders didnt hurt all the time... but they would flare-up. and when they did, ICE and actually helped more than any medication....

After the surgery, i was able to get back to work within days (good range of motion, although sore for some weeks)... if you are in good shape before the surgery, you can recover faster...

my biggest risk was injuring something else (back, neck, other parts of my shoulders) during rehab... because i avoided using my upper body in the months leading up to the shoulder procedures.

Finally ... since you are a young person, try as much as you can to practice and develop "good posture" (eg, computer work station, lifting, etc). at 48 (and 6' 4"), it's hard for me to change my posture... but if i could have, this would have prevented a lot of problems i have with my shoulders, neck, back).

let me know how it goes...

Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
(male)

MarkBak HB User

I have arthritis in my neck after being working on computer for seven years. Do not understand why people want the pain/disease that takes so much time to get (5-7 years!) to be cured in a month or two. It should take at least three years and you have completely change your attitude to exercises/diet and life style.
I am 37 and my arthritis has gone after 2 years of karate-do and only natural remedies, which contain turmeric and fenugreek herbs (Nature Medic Arthritis).

Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by will14 View Post
I am a 30 yo male and have had pain for about a 7-8 months in my shoulder, I got laid off in December and delayed my visit until march because I was hoping that the pain was just a strain or something minor (I know I should've went right away) and would go away. The problem is the pain never went away so I got an Xray that showed arthritis on the shoulder joint and the MRI showed inflamation of the tendon which he believes is caused from arthritis between the collarbone and shoulder blade (AC joint I believe).
Anyways I got a cortizone shot two weeks ago and the pain never went away now my GP wants me to go to an orthopedic surgeon for possible arthroscopic surgery. The problem is I have to go back to work next week and cannot afford to miss work and would like to delay this until I get laid off again. I remember last october to december that the pain was severe and since I work 15 hr days on my feet and using my arms constantly overhead the pain can get to be unmanageable (even with NSAIDS, acetimiophen, Omega3's and glucosamine). I guess I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on managing the pain for the next 7 months and possibly longer since I doubt the surgery will help the pain completely. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Firstly, did the cortizone shot hit the right spot. You have to get some novocain into the area first and if the pain goes the cortizoine will, if you do the same deapth and angle again might well work. I suspect you just had a shot and the doc hoped for the best. If the OA is really rubbibg the tendon then a surgeon can improve the space by removing some bone. The worst thing that can happen with a 15 hour day and working overhead is you rupture the tendon then you are in real trouble. Why do you doubt the surgery wont help the pain completely?
James

Closed Thread