It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

Ambra75 HB User
Experiences with Aloe and Licorice treatments, please share!

Hi everybody!
My GERD fight continues...
As I had written in my older post here, I am experiencing a severely burning tongue after using ANY antireflux medicine. My tongue tip and boards get slighlty red and start burning terribly only after a few pills, so I have to quit. After a week I am alright but my reflux awakes.

I am a 35-years-old female and have GERD due to LES weakness and esophageal hypotony, both caused by my autoimmune desease: spondyloarthropathy HLA B27 positive.
In the past I was able to control the symptoms assuming Carafate and 20mg of Prilosec or Protonix from time to time, which helped without causing any significant side effetcs.
After some time both medicines started causing bad stomach cramps.
I have had a reflux flare up for 6 months now causing me a mild esophageal inflamation. I have tried all different kinds of medicines: 4 PPIs: Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix; 2 H2blockers: Zantac and Pepcid; 3 others: Gaviscon, Magaldrate and Riopan. I started with Nexium 20mg, which caused temperature, muscle pains and bad abdominal cramps. All the following 8 medicines made my tongue burn. Some of them (like Zantac) caused abdominal cramps too.

My doctor suggested me being intollerant to medicines, or to their ingredients. I had 3 cortison injections in a month in order to supress my immune response but nothing changed: I had the same reaction over and over again. Now she sugests me having PPI or H2blockers injections in order to avoid the inactive ingredients. I am not sure I wanna do it. I am not even sure all this means intollerance.

I am wondering whether to try licorice and aloe juice. Did you have any benefits or side effects? Please let me know.
THANKS
Maria

Last edited by Ambra75; 04-26-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
(female)

seebrown HB User
Re: Experiences with Aloe and Licorice treatments, please share!

I do drink aloe vera juice mixed with something else to cover the taste about once a day, but I'm not sure it actually does anything; I maybe notice a tiny difference after I drink it, but that could be psychological.

If I suck on a DGL tablet, though, I get immediate relief for an hour+. It's really been a life-saver while I try to wean myself off of omeprazole (currently taking a half dose every other day) along with ranitidine daily. I'm also eating about 90% alkaline right now, and my tummy seems to be doing much better without dairy, meat, wheat or other highly acidic foods. I do have acid reflux daily, but it's bearable and nowhere near what it is if I take nothing and don't watch what I eat.

Last edited by seebrown; 04-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

No side effects from DGL (licorice) or aloe juice. However, I have to chew twice the recommended dose of DGL to feel symptom relief. I have to chew about four when I have heartburn. I buy the chocolate flavored DGL tablets. They taste much better than the ones that have the natural licorice flavor. The DGL does not taste like licorice which I actually like but can raise your blood pressure. Therefore, it is recommended you take DGL rather than straight licorice for heartburn. You chew or let the tablets dissolve in your mouth.

Aloe juice is good but can give you diahrrea if you drink too much. I have been drinking coconut juice and it is soothing to me without side effects. Buy the unsweetened kind if you decide to give it a try. Health stores carry coconut juice of different brands.

I did not know they manufactured injectable heartburn reducing medications (I guess they do because they are put on IV's in the hospital when patients can't take them orally), but they may be worth a try. I can't imagine living with heartburn and all those side effects for six months.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rose

Old 04-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

Ambra75 HB User

Thank you for replying, Rose! Doctors want me to have some allergy tests to see if I am allergic to the antireflux medicines' ingredients. It's been such a mess. Well, I don't have heartburn on a daily basis now although I had it continuously for 2 months as my flare up started. Medicines seem to work but I cant take them for some reason

Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambra75 View Post
Thank you for replying, Rose! Doctors want me to have some allergy tests to see if I am allergic to the antireflux medicines' ingredients. It's been such a mess. Well, I don't have heartburn on a daily basis now although I had it continuously for 2 months as my flare up started. Medicines seem to work but I cant take them for some reason
Try the DGL. I know of no adverse side effects from it. I think the trick with aloe juice is to slowly increase the amount to give your body a chance to adjust to it. I never had diahrrea from it, but did not particularly enjoy it and probably did not take as much as I should have to help me.

I love the coconut juice and it is actually very soothing to my stomach. I also figure that it is a lot healthier than sodas, coffee and other junk I used to drink before I developed reflux.

I take calcium and magnesium, which many have written helps with their reflux symptoms.

Rose

Closed Thread