It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

ninip HB User
dr's advise on RA help please

Hi everyone

Looking for advise or experiences. I have just been diagnosed with RA.

GP sending me back to rheumy for treatment plan. I have been on Arthrotec NSAID for 6 weeks now and still not feeling any better. Joint stiffness and pain in both hands and fingers and left wrist. Also all toes where they join the foot. I started feeling problems in my hands last Nov. Question is I am very sensitive to drugs (always have different side effects) So of course I don't like taking any. Has anyone out there just cont. with anti-inflamatories only and not went on to those DMARDs that I read about and were just fine? Or will that only spell disaster for the future...like worse pain or joint deformity? I want to know if he prescribes predisone etc. can I turn it down or will I only damage myself worse?

Please give me your thoughts or experiences.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

mimi423 HB User
Re: dr's advise on RA help please

Hello,

I've had RA now for 11 years, I'm doing well with it thanks to mtx and not a severe case.

You must be on a DMARD or a biologic (most still add a DMARD in addition), I know you don't want to but the sooner you accept it, the better and the earlier you get on one the better, this is a proven fact. I avoid pred if at all possible, the side effects are terrible. There will be times that you have to take a steroid but I keep those to the absolute minimum.

Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread