It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

nyokacraw HB User
Does arthritis in the feet cause pain in feet, tingling in toes and a burning sensati

My feet ache and are sore, especially the big bone at the big toe, and the bottom of my feet. There is a burning sensation and my toes tingle as if going numb. Are these symptoms of arthritis? My mother has arthritis and her feet ache and she has the tingling feeling.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Does arthritis in the feet cause pain in feet, tingling in toes and a burning sen

Arthritis does not usually cause the tingling and the burning sensation. That is the classic symptom of peripheral neuropathy...a problem with the nerves in the feet. It can come from diabetes or nerve damage or all sorts of problems. Have your doc take a look and you might need to see a neurologist to figure out the cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
Re: Does arthritis in the feet cause pain in feet, tingling in toes and a burning sen

I agree with jennybyc, that the symptoms you describe sound more like peripheral neuropathy than arthritis. However, based on my own experience, it is possible to have both conditions. If you do a search on "peripheral neuropathy", you'll find many references to rheumatoid arthritis being one cause of peripheral nerve damage. The burning, tingling, stabbing, stinging pains in my hands and feet (and sometimes what I would describe as "itchy pain") all started immediately after an acute RA attack in the fall. Now, I have so many different sensations, it's difficult to know what's happening at any given moment: arthritis, peripheral neuropathy, or Raynaud's (which for me causes icy cold hands and feet, numbness and pain, and which can also be associated with RA).

Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
(female)

daisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB User

Hello,
I am in exactly the same place as sensitivo with the symptoms and diagnosis. It is so hard to know what symptoms belong to each disease process. This is how I sum it all up: I feel like my toes are crushed, someone has broken my ankles, poured acid over my feet and lit them on fire!
Not very nice, it never goes away, the pain and sensations are with me 24/7. I have tried so many medications I was broke and still had no relief. I am now back on Methotrexate for the arthritis and inflammation, and small doses of morphine for the pain of the PN. I have had this for 5 years now.
There are tests for the PN like EMG's and it is worth a visit to a neurologist for the tingling, burning and stabbing pains.
I wish you the best of luck!!
Take care,
Daisy

Closed Thread