It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #166
(female)

ADKLADY HB UserADKLADY HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Csidney: I was given an elevation pillow (wedged shaped with holes in it for the arm) to take home after the surgery. It was a Godsend during the day. I even used it while walking around and when we would go out to eat. But at night, I stacked two bed pillows at an angle against the bed board, and slipped my arm in between them so that my elbow was at a 90 degree angle if i wanted to sleep on my side. Then I used a smaller pillow and put it on my stomach, and rested my forearm on that if I wanted to sleep on my back.

The Following User Says Thank You to ADKLADY For This Useful Post:
csidney (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #167
(female)

Hello everyone. At 7-1/2 weeks post surgery, my wrist is still totally weak. Over the past couple of nights, I have noticed sharp shooting pain on the pinky side of my wrist, opposite where the thumb is. Last night I had to take extra strength Tylenol, and also iced it. The icing by itself did not provide relief. I will discuss this with my surgeon on Tuesday, but am thinking that I might benefit from a removable brace like Haydena was given. Am heating it now. Any thoughts?

The following user gives a hug of support to ADKLADY:
csidney (01-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #168
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKLADY View Post
Hello everyone. At 7-1/2 weeks post surgery, my wrist is still totally weak. Over the past couple of nights, I have noticed sharp shooting pain on the pinky side of my wrist, opposite where the thumb is. Last night I had to take extra strength Tylenol, and also iced it. The icing by itself did not provide relief. I will discuss this with my surgeon on Tuesday, but am thinking that I might benefit from a removable brace like Haydena was given. Am heating it now. Any thoughts?
Hi Adklady,

Sorry to hear your about your pain & weakness in your wrist. The sharp shooting pain may be nerve pain & you need to discuss this with your surgeon.
I never experienced that kind of pain after my op.

Are you doing your hand & wrists exercises regularly? Have you tried placing your hand in a bowel of warm water & doing gentle hand movements?

If you feel that a removable brace would help you, I suggest you buy one.
You can only know if it helps, if you try it out. However dont wear it all the time as it restricts the movements of your wrist. I advise you not to buy a brace with metal rods at each side as you dont need that kind of support.

Let me know what your surgeon tells you.

Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
ADKLADY (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #169
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
@GingerTea: I did have a nerve conduction study and did not have Carpal Tunnel. However, I did have an MRI since there appeared to be a cyst in my lunate bone, and was subsequently diagnosed with Kienbocks disease, a rare disease whereby the lunate bone becomes necrotic and dies. I'm in the early stages and am praying that that disease has not progressed. Even if it has, I'm sure that the surgeon will want to wait a few months to see how I've healed from this surgery before performing another.

@Haydena: I have been using the heating pad and the warm water. Today I'm not having that stabbing pain. I found a soft splint at the drug store that I'm going to use tonight if it starts to hurt. Thanks all for responding, it's so nice to know that I'm not all alone with this.
Hi Adklady,

It is 4a.m. here, I am awake due to the fact that some **** phoned my home
using the wrong number & of course woke me up!!

I have re-read your post where you complain about having the shooting pain at night. As far as I know a soft splint should not be worn at night when one
goes to sleep. Please check this with your surgeon. I advise you to speak to him first rather than to your hand therapist.

It could be that your pain starts when your hand is inactive, which to me is a sign for you to move it by doing a few exercises. The warm, or hot water really does help. (As hot as you can take)

Are you still rubbing the Arnica into your thumb & wrist?

Sorry to hear that you had\have Kiennbocks disease, maybe your pain is from that? Now I understand why your recovery has not been as smooth as mine was. Maybe you should be using your heating pad on a regular basis as thank goodness that helps you.

Hang in there dear, you dont have too long to wait until Tuesday. You keep writing here & you wont ever have to bare all the hang-ups alone.

I'll be waiting to hear what your surgeon will tell you on Tuesday & hope you wont have any more pain.

Hugs,
Haydena.

The following user gives a hug of support to Haydena:
ADKLADY (01-15-2012)
ADKLADY (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #170
(female)

jellidg HB User

Thank-you for the information regarding clothing and pets as my oldest and dearest friend wants to bring her 8 mo/old rat terrier "holy terrier" to my small home to help me with recovery. Needless to say, that would be three dogs and one cat (the cat being fairly new to my home). I am thinking that all need to be boarded for one-week, or not have my closest friend with me. My sister is willing to help-out two-to-three days as she lives out-of-town. Also, I had not even thought about clothing "needs" during recovery. Any other information regarding recovery would be most appreciated and again, thank-you!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #171
(female)

csidney HB User

Hi everyone. Just a shout out to say thanks to all the kind people here who have taken the time to advise and help prepare me for my upcoming surgery. I had all my pre op workup on Friday and was cleared for the surgery on the 26th of January. Not looking forward to what's ahead but at least I am much more prepared for whats to come. Special thanks to Haydena and a few others that helped encourage and enlighten me. I promise to check in as soon as I'm able.

ADKLADY and Janet ....hope you both find some relief sooner than later or that time flies so so you can wake up and look forward to a pain free day.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #172
(female)

Hello Haydena: I hope that you were finally able to go back to sleep! I did not wear the soft splint last night and was ok. No pain. This morning I am wearing it while I prepare my coffee and breakfast. I can't believe what a difference it makes with my ability to lift the coffee cup without fear of dropping it! I'm also going to wear it when I keyboard. Other than that, it's off, as you are correct, too much use will interfere with healing. I'm going to show it to the PT on Wednesday to get her opinion. Yes, I continue with the Arnica cream 3x/day. You will be pleased to know that Dr. Oz promoted that cream on his show (actually the gel form), a re-run that was on this morning.

I agree with the list you gave to prepare for this surgery. Thank goodness for pull-over cotton nursing bras, which I used as a day and sleep bra. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of some Genie bras, which are also pullover but offer actual cups without hooks or undersides. My sister snowed me hers when she was visiting. Hugs.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #173
(female)

Hello Haydena: I hope that you were finally able to go back to sleep! I did not wear the soft splint last night and was ok. No pain. This morning I am wearing it while I prepare my coffee and breakfast. I can't believe what a difference it makes with my ability to lift the coffee cup without fear of dropping it! I'm also going to wear it when I keyboard. Other than that, it's off, as you are correct, too much use will interfere with healing. I'm going to show it to the PT on Wednesday to get her opinion. Yes, I continue with the Arnica cream 3x/day. You will be pleased to know that Dr. Oz promoted that cream on his show (actually the gel form), a re-run that was on this morning.

I agree with the list you gave to prepare for this surgery. Thank goodness for pull-over cotton nursing bras, which I used as a day and sleep bra. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of some Genie bras, which are also pullover but offer actual cups without hooks or underwires. My sister showed me hers when she was visiting. Hugs.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #174
Veteran
(female)

Quote:

I agree with the list you gave to prepare for this surgery. Thank goodness for pull-over cotton nursing bras, which I used as a day and sleep bra. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of some Genie bras, which are also pullover but offer actual cups without hooks or underwires. My sister showed me hers when she was visiting. Hugs.
Hello Adklady,

Yes thanks, I did go back to sleep this morning.

I am pleased to read that you were pain free this morning when you woke up. May this continue.

Agreed the soft splint does reassure you & gives the confidence you need with you hand. You need to listen to your body & even if your therapist disagrees with you wearing the splint, I say, do as you feel is good for you. I wore my splint when I was away from home for 3 months. When I felt my hand & wrist were strong enough, I stopped wearing the splint, even though I was told by my surgeon & therapist not to wear it!!

I also wore my splint when i was at my computer & when I did housework.

I prefer the Arnica cream to the gel because with the cream I can really rub it in where necessary. Btw, Arnica also comes in an oil form.

Pull over bras are fantastically easy to use & are so very comfortable.

Good luck for tomorrow & let me know how it went.

Hugs,
Haydena.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #175
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellidg View Post
Thank-you for the information regarding clothing and pets as my oldest and dearest friend wants to bring her 8 mo/old rat terrier "holy terrier" to my small home to help me with recovery. Needless to say, that would be three dogs and one cat (the cat being fairly new to my home). I am thinking that all need to be boarded for one-week, or not have my closest friend with me. My sister is willing to help-out two-to-three days as she lives out-of-town. Also, I had not even thought about clothing "needs" during recovery. Any other information regarding recovery would be most appreciated and again, thank-you!
Hi Jellidg,

As for the recovery of this operation, there are many good posts which are full
of good advice on this thread. Scrolling back & reading them will help you find what you are looking for.

I wish you good luck for your surgery & let us know how you are managing once you are able to type.

Haydena.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #176
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csidney View Post
Hi everyone. Just a shout out to say thanks to all the kind people here who have taken the time to advise and help prepare me for my upcoming surgery. I had all my pre op workup on Friday and was cleared for the surgery on the 26th of January. Not looking forward to what's ahead but at least I am much more prepared for whats to come. Special thanks to Haydena and a few others that helped encourage and enlighten me. I promise to check in as soon as I'm able.

ADKLADY and Janet ....hope you both find some relief sooner than later or that time flies so so you can wake up and look forward to a pain free day.
Good luck for your surgery on 26th of January, Csidney.
Try not to worry too much. The first week is the hardest, after that, things do get easier.
Take care.
Haydena.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #177
(female)

@Csydney: it would not be a bad idea to practice stacking pillows to experiment with an arrangement that will keep your arm elevated after surgery so that you can sleep comfortably. I would have slept better after the surgery if I hadn't wasted so much time trying to figure this out.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #178
(female)

Yesterday the surgeon took an Xray and said that I m healing well. He said I can still expect wrist weakness from the surgery, exacerbated by osteoarthritis that I already had in the wrist. And I have new bone spurs on the thumb tip that is going to limit my range of motion permanently. He had no objection to my wearing a soft splint whenever I feel that I need it. I'll get the PTs opinion on that matter today. I was using a pen for a while this a.m. and am sore from it. It doesn't take much activity before my pain reminds me to take it easy! How is everyone else doing?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #179
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yesterday the surgeon took an Xray and said that I m healing well. He said I can still expect wrist weakness from the surgery, exacerbated by osteoarthritis that I already had in the wrist. And I have new bone spurs on the thumb tip that is going to limit my range of motion permanently. He had no objection to my wearing a soft splint whenever I feel that I need it. I'll get the PTs opinion on that matter today. I was using a pen for a while this a.m. and am sore from it. It doesn't take much activity before my pain reminds me to take it easy! How is everyone else doing?
Hi Adklady,

Good that your surgeon gave you good news & that he agrees that you can wear a soft splint.

Sorry to hear about the new bone spurs. Can anything be done about this problem? Do you think your thumb tip started to hurt whilst you were using the pen because of the bone spurs?

I'm doing fine here (thanks)

Continue healing & take care.
Hugs,
Haydena.

The following user gives a hug of support to Haydena:
ADKLADY (01-18-2012)
ADKLADY (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #180
(female)

I don't know if it started because of the writing. I was amazed how much ROM the therapist managed to get out of it during today's session. The pain has abated somewhat.

Closed Thread