It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #76
(female)

wendyray HB User
Re: going through the basal joint surgery process - at least, my story

Did you have both thumbs done? Did your thumb/s ever feel "normal" again?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #77
(female)

wendyray HB User

Per my doctor, I use two towels rolled up (standing on end) with two pillows around them. I put my hand up underneath the pillows and through the open space in the middle, between the two rolled up towels and the two pillows. It holds my hand up very well and is quite comfortable. The doctor's instructions show using diaper pins to hold the short ends of the pillows together to form a circle. My husband rigged it up with bungee cords because we didn't have any diaper pins. I could not have kept my hand up while I slept without this contraption.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #78
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyray View Post
Did you have both thumbs done? Did your thumb/s ever feel "normal" again?
Hi Wendyray,

I had my left thumb operated on at the beginning of May, this year.
Besides the occasional twinge (in the thumb) I dont have any pain at all & yes, it feels''normal'' again. I am able to use my hand completely.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
wendyray (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #79
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Per my doctor, I use two towels rolled up (standing on end) with two pillows around them. I put my hand up underneath the pillows and through the open space in the middle, between the two rolled up towels and the two pillows. It holds my hand up very well and is quite comfortable. The doctor's instructions show using diaper pins to hold the short ends of the pillows together to form a circle. My husband rigged it up with bungee cords because we didn't have any diaper pins. I could not have kept my hand up while I slept without this contraption.
Good to hear you & your husband found a good way to keep your arm raised.
Hope your healing is going well.
Haydena.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #80
(female)

wendyray HB User

Thanks so much for your reply, Haydena. I'm so glad for that your thumb got back to feeling normal. I know you said you had your surgery in May, but do you happen to recall how long it actually took for you to feel normal again?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #81
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks so much for your reply, Haydena. I'm so glad for that your thumb got back to feeling normal. I know you said you had your surgery in May, but do you happen to recall how long it actually took for you to feel normal again?
Hi Wendyray,

No 2 people heal the same way & at the same pace. From the other posts I have read here, I think my healing process was fast. As I said, my op was at the beginning of May. By the end of July I was able to go abroad & fly. I was able to use my hand for 90% in everything. I did not lift my suitcase with my left hand & I also did'nt carry heavy items, not because I could'nt, but because I
thought it best not to. By the end of August I was able to use my hand compeletly.

Now for another tip I wish to pass onto you. The more hand cream you apply to your scar the better it is for the skin. The scar needs alot of hydration/moisture & by doing this, you are allowing your skin to heal faster.
Any hand cream will do as long as it does'nt contain too strong a scent.

Just to remind me please, when did you undergo your operation?

Take care.
Haydena

Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #82
(female)

wendyray HB User

I had my right thumb (dominant hand) done on November 2. I am scheduled to have my left thumb done this coming Monday (December 19). I am also scheduled to be out of work until November 1. I am doing well, but I am still a little concerned. If this week doesn't go well, I will postpone. However, this is the best time for me to be away from work. I got my pin out, cast off, and started physical therapy last Thursday (Dec 8).

Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #83
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I had my right thumb (dominant hand) done on November 2. I am scheduled to have my left thumb done this coming Monday (December 19). I am also scheduled to be out of work until November 1. I am doing well, but I am still a little concerned. If this week doesn't go well, I will postpone. However, this is the best time for me to be away from work. I got my pin out, cast off, and started physical therapy last Thursday (Dec 8).
Wendyray, you write that you ''scheduled to be out of work until November 1''
do you mean January 1?
Are you concerned that when you have your left thumb done, your right hand will not have healed 100%?

When you say, ''if this week doesnt go well'' can you explain exactly what you mean as I am trying hard to understand you & help you out here.

If you feel that you are not ready for the operation on your left thumb, then postpone it. You need to put yourself first & give yourself time to heal.
I understand your work is important but if you dont have enough time to recover your hands will suffer in the end.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #84
(female)

wendyray HB User

I'm sorry. I'm out of work until February 1 (not Nov. 1--that's when I had surgery). I can do quite a bit already with my right hand, but it is difficult and I am weak so worried about this hand being my sole hand in one week.

As far as my ability goes, last Thursday (when I got my cast off and pin out and started physical therapy), I couldn't straighten my hand, form a fist, or touch my thumb and index finger together. Now, I can almost straighten my hand, totally form a fist, and touch my thumb to my index, middle, and ring finger.

I am progressing each day, and my (excellent) surgeon is very pleased with my progress.

BTW, I also have a wonderful husband who will take off work (again) to help me for several days after the surgery to help and then cook and help me as long as I need him to do so.

Does that help?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #85
(female)

wendyray HB User

Yes, I'm concerned that my right hand won't be 100% healed by next Monday when I'm scheduled to get surgery on my left hand (thumb).

Old 12-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #86
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I'm sorry. I'm out of work until February 1 (not Nov. 1--that's when I had surgery). I can do quite a bit already with my right hand, but it is difficult and I am weak so worried about this hand being my sole hand in one week.

As far as my ability goes, last Thursday (when I got my cast off and pin out and started physical therapy), I couldn't straighten my hand, form a fist, or touch my thumb and index finger together. Now, I can almost straighten my hand, totally form a fist, and touch my thumb to my index, middle, and ring finger.

I am progressing each day, and my (excellent) surgeon is very pleased with my progress.

BTW, I also have a wonderful husband who will take off work (again) to help me for several days after the surgery to help and then cook and help me as long as I need him to do so.

Does that help?

YES it helps alot. Thanks for explaining it all to me.
By your explanation, your recovery is proceeding as it should.

From my own experience I say you will be ok By Feb 1 to return to work.
You expected far too much of your hand after the cast was taken off & the pin came out. The progress you are now making with you hand sounds very good & please try not to worry about what you can do & cant do with your hand. It will all come together in time. I know how you are feeling as I had the exact same worries. Soon you will be able to touch your 2nd,3rd,4th & 5th fingers
with your thumb.
My physio told me not to worry as it would inhibit my healing progress!!

You will be able to do more with your hand as the days go by !!
Take it one day at a time. You will be just fine.

Great that you had & will have the help of your hubby. Mine also took time off to be with me & helped me alot during my recovery.

The less you worry the better.

Haydena

PS. please let us know here how you are continuing & if you need anymore info, dont hesitate to ask.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #87
(female)

wendyray HB User

Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to help me by sharing your experience. I also really appreciate your kindness and encouragement.

I probably will have the second surgery (left hand) as scheduled this Monday (December 19) as I am progressing well, do have great help, and have off until Feb 1. I'll touch base again later--since you said you're good with that.

BTW, I can already touch my thumb to my index, middle, and ring finger. Maybe tomorrow, I'll be able to touch the pinkie, too.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #88
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yes, I'm concerned that my right hand won't be 100% healed by next Monday when I'm scheduled to get surgery on my left hand (thumb).
Hi Wendyray,

I seem to have overlooked your above post which I have only seen & read now.
I understand your concern about your scheduled op for next Monday.
Seeing that you only need to return to work on Feb. 1st, you can delay the op,
if you feel your right hand wont be ready. It is your body & you need to decide what's best for you.

Good luck for that& I wish you good luck for the op, if you go through with it. Please let us know what you have decided when the time comes nearer.

All the best.
Haydena.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #89
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to help me by sharing your experience. I also really appreciate your kindness and encouragement.

I probably will have the second surgery (left hand) as scheduled this Monday (December 19) as I am progressing well, do have great help, and have off until Feb 1. I'll touch base again later--since you said you're good with that.

BTW, I can already touch my thumb to my index, middle, and ring finger. Maybe tomorrow, I'll be able to touch the pinkie, too.
Thank you for your kind words, Wendyray.

I am pleased to be of help to you through this experience. Many of the posts here helped me alot & I will always appreciate that.

I hope you succeeded to touch your pinkie today. You go girl!!
Hugs,
Haydena.

The following user gives a hug of support to Haydena:
wendyray (12-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
wendyray (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #90
(female)

wendyray HB User

Haydena,

No pinkie to thumb touch today--but it was still a much better (less depressing) day today. It really helps to have the support of caring people like you who have been through what I'm going through, and to know they are doing well now.

Tomorrow, should be another good day. I have physical therapy again, and I'm sure I'll make some more good progress.

Warmest regards,

wendyray

Closed Thread