It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
(male)

John Nixon III HB User
bent fingers

Without warning, or pain - the middle finger on my left hand, at the first joint; near the finger tip, suddenly bent to form a 90 degree angle. The finger in the relxed position now stays this way. I can move it to a straight postion; but only manually.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: bent fingers

I'm 57 and my little finger on right hand started looking like it was broken about 13 yrs ago. I'm not really aware of when all of the others started looking so bad but now they all are swollen and bent. Seems the tip of my fingers always went upward but now all the knunckles are swollen so that I can barely type. I would say see someone soon and maybe it would delay the arthritis in hands if that's what it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Maybe trigger finger?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

John....sounds like one of the tendons to the tip of your finger has gotten trapped, pulling it down, or one of the tendons on the back of your finger has torn and so it won't pull the tip back up. Sounds more like the latter since you can move it up manually.

See an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hand surgery(not something for just anyone to do...you NEED a hand surgeon...trust me)to see just what happened and then you can decide if you want it fixed or not.

Jenny

PS...no torn tendons don't heal by themselves because they pull way up away from the tear and have to be drawn back down to be re-joined.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I have a bent finger on the 3rd finger of my left pain. Last year I had an MRI of my left wrist b/c I had so much pain and couldn't turn the key in the lock,write with that hand, turn the steering wheel with that hand. The diagnosis was Osteoarthritis. I take Celebrex for pain relief. It's better than nothing, but I still have pain in that hand and wrist. So, I'd say that you could have arthritis in your hand or wrist also. Hope you get the right diagnosis and pain relief.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nixon III View Post
. . . The finger in the relaxed position now stays this way. I can move it to a straight position; but only manually.
My right pointer fingertip is like that, my doc said it's "mallet finger". I have rheumatoid so mine comes and goes, for most folks it's a repetitive motion or sports injury that can heal completely. It used to be called "baseball finger" since baseball players got from jamming their finger on the ball but now with so many hunt 'n' peck, one-finger typers, it's become very common among computer users. You should see an ortho to make sure it's not something that might get worse.

There is an old fashioned splint treatment for mallet finger; take a paper clip, place it under the bent fingertip so it's straightened out and put a bandaid (lightly) around it to hold it in place. With some OTC anti inflammatories (aleve, advil), it should work pretty quick, in a day or two.

Closed Thread