It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
(male)

19CORKY73 HB User
When i walk upstairs my knee is realy painful. Whats wrong?

When i walk upstairs my knee is realy painfull. Whats wrong

Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
(female)

pandora55 HB User
Re: When i walk upstairs my knee is realy painfull. Whats wrong

There could be many reasons for the pain that you are experiencing.Popping or grinding could be sign of arthritis. Could be bakers cyst, could be you have torn something or have what they call a loose body. I advise you go to doctor soon, before it gets worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: When i walk upstairs my knee is realy painfull. Whats wrong

Hi Corky. I've had 14 knee surgeries so I'm pretty fluent in "knee".

Damage inside the knee tends to give problems both going up and down the stairs but I know for me, "going up stairs pain" is usually my knee cap. It goes not only up and down but rotates kind of in a circle on the base of the femur bone. If you've got any damage to the cartilage on the back of your kneecap, it causes pain.

Cartilage damage can come from aging, falling on your knees when you were young, a kneecap that is too loose from ligament and tendon damage, a kneecap that isn't properly aligned(often born that way) and other injuries. Many forms of arthritis affect the back of the kneecap.

You should probably see your doc and at least get an x-ray to make sure you haven't done anything bad to it(like break it). Try giving it a break for a while and go up and down the stairs one at a time, keeping that knee from bending. You can find knee braces over the counter in drug stores that have openings in them for your knee cap to keep it centered and those can help. Taking Aleve or ibuprofen daily for a week or so can help. Some joints like ice and some like heat....see which one eases your pain and try that a couple times a day.

If that doesn't ease it, then consider seeing an orthopedic surgeon. They can do tests to see exactly what the cause of the pain is. You might need some physical therapy and a fitted knee brace to get it working better.

Let me know how it goes.

Jenny

Closed Thread