It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

Pboy HB User
Does a "plant based" diet really curb inflammation?

Or, is it enviable with aging?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
Re: Does a "plant based" diet really curb inflammation?

In my case, I think it may. But, it probably depends on the person. Last fall, I received a confirmed diagnosis of OA, with suspected RA. A blood test in June confirmed RA as well. I have visible inflammation. Yet, my inflammatory markers measure very low. Whether this is related to my diet and supplements, I have no idea.

As soon as I experienced the sudden-onset extreme joint pain and stiffness last fall, I put myself on an anti-inflammatory diet and supplements. My diet was primarily fruits and vegetables, although I did eat small amounts of dairy (yogurt, eggs, low-lactose cheese, etc.) and fish. Then, barbeque season came, and each time I ate an occasional meal including poultry, my discomfort and joint stiffness increased dramatically (to the point the joints in my hands were locking -- a panic-inducing sensation). At the same time, the function of my hands worsened every week. Needless to say, I went back to the nearly vegetarian diet -- even more restrictive this time. This is the only thing I could find that lessened my symptoms while waiting a month to see my doctor. I've also eliminated gluten entirely due to gluten intolerance. I'm not officially celiac (haven't had a biopsy done), but I've read that many RA patients do better on a gluten-free diet.

So, give the vegetarian diet a try. If it helps, great. If it doesn't, being able to eat a less restrictive diet also can be interpreted as a positive outcome. Good luck investigating this option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
(female)

alaskawild HB User
Re: Does a "plant based" diet really curb inflammation?

I've had terrible joint and muscle pain over the last few years. One physical therapist suggested a low inflammation diet that restricted sugar, caffeine, all dairy, eggs, citrus, gluten, high fat foods. It focused on good fats like fish oil, olive, avocado, nuts and seeds, fruits and veggies and no nightshade plants (potato, tomato, tomatillos, bell peppers, paprika, cayenne, blueberries, okra). Low fat meat like fish, turkey, chicken. I started to feel alot better. Added back gluten and felt awful and asked my doctor for a celiac panel and it was positive so now I'm completely gluten free and another allergy test showed a high allergy to milk and eggs. When I do eat fatty foods and bad oils and sugar and caffeine I feel really bad. I wish I could say that I have perfect self control but I don't. Silly, since I know all the bad stuff is bad. I'm working on it. For that one month I was off everything bad I felt alot better. I highly recommend giving it a try. I'm recommitting myself to get clean again.

Beth

Closed Thread