It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
(female)

soccermomiam HB User
Question Thumb surgery 3.5 weeks ago, still burning pain???

I had surgery on my left thumb 3.5 weeks ago. There is a pin inserted between thumb and index finger bone to hold it in place, and I am casted so can't see what is going on in there.

Can't find the term for the surgery, but the base of the thumb now has a tendon rolled up to replace the joint. A bit of history, I had this same surgery done a year ago here at home, and it TOTALLY failed. Was still in a lot of pain, so went to Cleveland Clinic for another opinion. Ended up with the head hand surgeon, who informed me it had failed and was quite a mess in there. Only has seen failure like this a couple of times in his career. (of course that would be me) So one year almost to the date I went under the knife once more.

As I said I am totally casted, so I can't see the areas that are in pain and burning. but they seem to be in the area of the pin. It is bad in the morning, pop a pain pill and it does help. But by night time I am in a lot of pain! During the day I usually end up with a couple more pills, and try to keep it up as much as possible.

Night time rolls around and it just BURNS on outside of thumb, and index finger ACHES big time when ever I try to move it. I have talked to docs nurse, she doesn't seem concerned, just orders pain pills.

I guess I am concerned that the pin is loose in there, or I am allergic to it? Clueless on that. I had a broken ankle a few years ago and had a plate and screws in there with no allergic problems, since removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Thumb surgery 3.5 weeks ago, still burning pain???

I haven't had that thumb surgery(yet) but I've had 22 other orthopedic surgeries and that burning pain is usually nerve pain. They may have injured or even cut a nerve during surgery and they burn like hell while healing. In fact, they can get worse before they get better as if announcing they are healing by sending out electric shocks every time you move. and you just have to wait it out.

Hopefully someone else who has had the surgery will come along and add their expertise. If you think you are starting to swell at all, then call your doc...could be infection. But I know I've felt that pain you describe so well and I know for me it's been nerves healing.

good luck..............Jenny

Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
(female)

soccermomiam HB User

Jenny, Thank you so much for your reply, it really helps! I was so concerned that I was rejecting the pin but couldn't see the area that hurts so bad.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
(female)

lca8461 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermomiam View Post
Jenny, Thank you so much for your reply, it really helps! I was so concerned that I was rejecting the pin but couldn't see the area that hurts so bad.
The surgery is 'LRTI arthroplasty'. LRTI stands for ligament reconstruction with tendon interposition. I had surgery 7/15/2010 and it does sound like the nerve is healing. My doctor warned about such pain but to be honest with you, the pain I had prior to surgery was so much worse then what I had after. Don't get me wrong there is definitely pain involved afterwards but for me not as bad as before. I didn't have a pin in place but a lot of people do. Check some of the other posts, like 'CMC Joint Arthroplasty' , or 'Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???' ....both of these threads are closed but do provide good information. There have been a lot of posts regarding this surgery. keep us posted on how you are doing.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
(female)

On The Brink 2 HB User

I read something about that happening, and it said you should contact your doctor immediately. I would do that.

I have a question for you. I can't seem to be able to figure out how to start my own question on this thing!! I am going to be having the same surgery soon. I am wondering how long it will be until I can drive? Are you able to yet?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
(male)

MRCOLE HB User

Soccermom
Had Basal thumb surgery five weeks ago. Still have pain and swelling. Starting my first therapy tomarrow. Surgeon said possible RSD condition. This is Regional Pain Syndrome. Can happen to one out of twenty Basal surgeries.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
(female)

Triplemomx HB User

I am having Ligament Reconstruction and Tendon Interposition on my right (dominant) thumb on Feb. 10th, 2011... due to having much pain from having no cartiledge left. I am very nervous! Can anyone share their experience with me and give me tips on how to function/take care of myself with one hand. I ordered a stand for my hair dryer, bought pull up leggings, sports bras and got a signature stamp for signing checks. Any other tips...also how far did the cast go up your arm as I'm not sure what types of tops I will need? How was your pain and did you feel this surgery was worth it?
My daughter is due to have a baby the middle of April and the Doctor assures me that I will be fine to go and help her at that point in time...I hope he is right!

Last edited by Triplemomx; 01-19-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Change of surgery date to Jan. 31, 2011...getting nervous!

The Following User Says Thank You to Triplemomx For This Useful Post:
jpcz (01-11-2012)
Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
(female)

aspen47 HB User
Re: Thumb surgery 3.5 weeks ago, still burning pain (and other hand hurts)

I am having the same burning but I don't have a pin, just the tendon harvested and placed in there. My other concern is that I had my left hand done Feb 2010 and since I've been using that hand more while in a cast on the right, my left thumb, especially in the fold on the inside of hand/thumb is hurting and burning. Is it possible to re-injure a thumb a year out from surgery from overuse?

Closed Thread