It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

mushroom2 HB User
Smile Arthritis in knee, facet joints, etc.

I have spondy and SI joint problems. I recently had injections in both SI joints. It helped for acouple of days but now the pain is returning. My DO doctor said that prolotherapy will help these joints. He said their are numerous ligaments that become lax and prolo can help. In the mean time I am going to get a SI joint belt to see if that helps. I have some arthritis in my SI joints and in my knee. There is also some arthritis in my facet joints. I also have that pain on my breast bone and rib bone pain. I asked this Dr. if my arthritis will get worse or better. He said it is possible for arthritis to melt away. I have never heard of this before. I thought once you had arthritis you have it for life. For anyone wondering about SI joint injections with fluroscope. I found them to be very pain free. The only pain I had was a couple days after the injections. This is mostly gone now and it has been a little over a week. I also have spondy, grade 1 and was told that surgery for this procedure doesn't have a very good outcome. I like my Dr. a lot but I thought I would share this info with other members to see what they think. I realize everyone is different and their reactions can be different. The rib pain that I have with the breast bone sternum hurts more than anything. It even hurts to wear a belt around my waist.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Arthritis in knee, facet joints, etc.

Good old constochondritis..that rib pain....I've even been to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. I've had it since(30+ years) but have learned how to handle it. It really responds well to heat.

Have you ever seen a rheumatologist to see if you have one of the sero-negative spondyloarthropathies? They are a group of disorders with negative blood work that all have one thing in common....arthritis in the SI joints and spine. It's important to know if you do as they can affect the body as well. Ankylosing spondylitis is one of them and it frequently has Crohn's Disease with it and that is an auto-immune disorder of the intestines that can be extremely serious. You need to be watched for symptoms of that showing up. Another is Psoriatic arthritis where you get psoriasis along with the arthritis. There are some new meds for it that are doing a great job of controlling it. Reactive arthritis(used to be called Reiter's syndrome) is a third and they just announced a possible cure for that one as it starts after exposure to one of 4 infections(including food poisoning). It affects the eyes.

Treating the symptoms is great(thanks for the info on the SI shots) but if you can find a cause, then you might be in remission for good.

Many women get SI joint arthritis as a result of pregnancy and you need to rule out that as the cause too. My SI joint arthritis is from 2 big babies but it took years of watching those joints to make sure. It did go away after a while but the spine arthritis came on gangbusters and almost paralyzed me.

All of these forms of arthritis have arthritis that looks on x-ray just like OA but have some bad repercussions if not treated properly. I know I sound like a broken record some days but I really think everyone with arthritis should see a rheumatologist just to make sure it's not something else. Then you can have whoever you want treat you. But know what it is first.

Education is so important and I thank you for offering to help those here. It is so important. My doc's office has a big sign in the waiting room and it says.....

If we treat you today, you may feel better for a day.
If we teach you today, you will help yourself to feel better for a lifetime.

Thanks for the education and I hope I have shared some too.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

mushroom2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Good old constochondritis..that rib pain....I've even been to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. I've had it since(30+ years) but have learned how to handle it. It really responds well to heat.

Have you ever seen a rheumatologist to see if you have one of the sero-negative spondyloarthropathies? They are a group of disorders with negative blood work that all have one thing in common....arthritis in the SI joints and spine. It's important to know if you do as they can affect the body as well. Ankylosing spondylitis is one of them and it frequently has Crohn's Disease with it and that is an auto-immune disorder of the intestines that can be extremely serious. You need to be watched for symptoms of that showing up. Another is Psoriatic arthritis where you get psoriasis along with the arthritis. There are some new meds for it that are doing a great job of controlling it. Reactive arthritis(used to be called Reiter's syndrome) is a third and they just announced a possible cure for that one as it starts after exposure to one of 4 infections(including food poisoning). It affects the eyes.

Treating the symptoms is great(thanks for the info on the SI shots) but if you can find a cause, then you might be in remission for good.

Many women get SI joint arthritis as a result of pregnancy and you need to rule out that as the cause too. My SI joint arthritis is from 2 big babies but it took years of watching those joints to make sure. It did go away after a while but the spine arthritis came on gangbusters and almost paralyzed me.

All of these forms of arthritis have arthritis that looks on x-ray just like OA but have some bad repercussions if not treated properly. I know I sound like a broken record some days but I really think everyone with arthritis should see a rheumatologist just to make sure it's not something else. Then you can have whoever you want treat you. But know what it is first.

Education is so important and I thank you for offering to help those here. It is so important. My doc's office has a big sign in the waiting room and it says.....

If we treat you today, you may feel better for a day.
If we teach you today, you will help yourself to feel better for a lifetime.

Thanks for the education and I hope I have shared some too.

Jenny

Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
(female)

mushroom2 HB User

Thanks so much for your information. I had no idea what was wrong with my breast bone. I know I can't stand any pressure around that area. My Dr. didn't offer me any advice about this or what to do. I just told him about the pain. He didn't examine me. I'm glad to hear it is nothing serious. When a person gets pressure in their chest, the first thing I think about is my heart. I have been very disappointed in doctors today. They don't seem to have the time to treat you and they just refer you to someone else. No one has really educated me on arthritis including my doctors. I saw my PT this morning for a SI joint belt and she said there is nothing you can do for arthritis. She said RA is different, it attacks your immune system. I have arthritis in my knee (don't know what kind). I just wrap it up every day and assume it is something I have to live with. It is very red on the inside of my knee. I also was not aware of Chron's disease. I have had a lot of problems with my stomach for 2 years now. I can't gain weight and I hate being skinny. I use to be an avid gym member and I hardly go anymore because of pain. I have lost a lot of muscle because I don't do weights anymore. I do ride my stationary bike and that helps some. It seems like when I do lift weights it causes muscle spasms and tissue pain. It is not the same as muscle pain. I am going to try and go back next week and try it again. I am going to do some research from what you told me. It is so great that members of this board are here to help other people. After I get my prolo, I will you know if that helps my SI joint. Thanks so much again.

Glenda

Closed Thread