It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

1reagan HB User
How long does gout last?

I'm interested in finding out the approximate amount of days gout can last? how long is the swelling and other effects?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: How long does gout last?

Depends on how fast you get on some meds to end the attack. Have you been put on cholchicine? That usually gets the pain under control pretty quickly.

But once you have gout, you always have gout and are liable to get attacks whenever the uric acid levels rise in your blood. Are you on anything thing for the uric acid levels?

My rheumatologist thinks I may have developed one of the kinds of gout that goes along with rheumatoid arthritis. Did you know there are 4 different kinds of gout? And in some, finding those crystals in the joint fluid is hard! It is one painful problem and I feel for you if you have gout.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

My first gout attack was by far the longest lasting and the most painful one. Following that, my nephrologist put me on 100 Allopurinol daily, which I am still taking religiously 7 years later.

Since then I have had several smaller attacks, that have been resolved with naproxen in a matter of days.

I wish you well

Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

607ldy HB User

Hi, an gout attack can last anything from 3-10 days. It will pass even if you do not use any medication. How sure are you that it actually is gout?

Goutlady

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
(male)

Danny22 HB User

A couple days to a couple weeks usually. It has a mind of its own and usually occurs right before you take that trip that requires running through the airport. Ouch.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
(female)

lwill HB User

Well, my husband had an attack that lasted 3 weeks, went away for 3 days and is now back again with a vengeance. The dr tried him on the colchicine and it didn't even phase him so they gave him a quick acting steroid in one hip and a slow acting steroid in other hip and put him on oxycodone. One pill didn't phase it, he had to take two to even tip it. And he's been taking uloric for about two weeks now. I've never had this, but with my husband's experience with it, I feel so sorry for whomever gets it. His always lasts at least a few weeks and it not only gets in the toe but other joints in his body as well. For instance, he had it in his elbow a couple yrs ago and ever since then, he's never been able to straighten his elbow out...could this be a more severe type? He always seems to get these attacks a couple times a year and it's like a traveling thing, you might as well count on it going to another joint after it starts in the toe. He's really lived in alot of pain not just due to the gout but also, he fell off a truck and broke both feet and ankles and had reconstructive surgery so the impact from that has left his body a mess.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
(male)

Danny22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwill View Post
Well, my husband had an attack that lasted 3 weeks, went away for 3 days and is now back again with a vengeance. The dr tried him on the colchicine and it didn't even phase him so they gave him a quick acting steroid in one hip and a slow acting steroid in other hip and put him on oxycodone. One pill didn't phase it, he had to take two to even tip it. And he's been taking uloric for about two weeks now. I've never had this, but with my husband's experience with it, I feel so sorry for whomever gets it. His always lasts at least a few weeks and it not only gets in the toe but other joints in his body as well. For instance, he had it in his elbow a couple yrs ago and ever since then, he's never been able to straighten his elbow out...could this be a more severe type? He always seems to get these attacks a couple times a year and it's like a traveling thing, you might as well count on it going to another joint after it starts in the toe. He's really lived in alot of pain not just due to the gout but also, he fell off a truck and broke both feet and ankles and had reconstructive surgery so the impact from that has left his body a mess.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

This thread was started in November of last year, so I do not think the original poster is still watching this thread.

But for you that responded and are suffering with gout, all my sympathies go to all of you. My gout is a result of a medication I have to take, which then requires another medication to protect me from gout that I will take for the rest of my life.

Iwill

I would have your husband to ask his doctor about the use of allopurinol, it has kept me from recurring attacks for years now. It is something you have to take everyday, but the side effects are non-existent (to me) and the benefit is huge. It is also an inexpensive medication.

It doesn't sound as if he needs any more pain added to his injuries and surgeries. I wish you well.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
(female)

lwill HB User

Thanks for the info, he was on allopurinol for a couple yrs and it didn't seem to be helping that is why his dr is trying the uloric. But, I'm not sure if it's gonna work for him because it's making him naseous and very constipated. I didn't know meds could cause you to have gout attacks, could his coumadin be a cause of these frequent and severe attacks? He's on that for life due to a bloodclotting disorder.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Iwill,

Sorry to hear the Allopurinol did not help...it is a life saver for me. Since being on it, I have only had 2 or 3 mild and short lasting bouts.

Yes, there are medications which can lead to gout, in my case it was HCT, which I need for BP control, along with several others. The hydrochlorithiazide is what the gout crystals are made of, and women rarely get gout, unless it is due to medication. (My "facts" may be challenged, but it is my understanding, using a brain that has had 4 strokes memory).

As far as coumadin, I would definitely ask. That would be another case where you could not stop the coumadin, making an anti-gout medication needed for your dad, just like with me.

How long has he been on the uloric? I understand that the side effects you describe cannot be lived with for long, but it is possible that they will disappear once he has been on the medication long enough. That would be the best bet, if he can hang in there long enough to get his system used to the med.

I would keep in close contact with your dad's doctor about all this, as there are always new products coming out that might be of help to him. My dad is also on coumadin, and I know how precise you must be to keep his sugars in control. Unfortunately there are always the times while fiddling with new meds that are frustrating and leave us feeling horrible, but as a woman who must maintain a "diet" that includes 155 pills per week, forever...I really understand all this, and have great empathy for your dad, as well as for you... who has to keep searching and learning to take care of your sweet dad.

I am wishing you both all my best...and feel free to continue to ask questions, we can always find someone here who can answer just about everything, about just about anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
lwill (03-12-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
(female)

lwill HB User

OMG..I'm so sorry for you. My husband has been on uloric around 3 weeks now and I keep telling him not to quit taking it as hopefully the side effects will go away soon. He actually has to go in tues to get his pt/inr checked and I'm going to ask the dr what she thinks about it. Thank you so much for your input. It's just really hard when you're dealing with an extremely stubborn man. That's the reason he's about died twice on me...he just quit taking his coumadin and the blood clots when to his lungs. I just feel like he's got more than gout going on because when he got that attck in his elbow..he now cannot straighten his arm out and this gout in his foot was there for 3 weeks went away for 3 days and came right back..is gout debilitating? Can it destroy your joints?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Oh my gosh...I feel sorry for YOU! I cannot imagine trying to help a man you love while he is non-compliant and is not taking his health seriously enough.

Three weeks is close to the time when it should be tolerated by the body, and the side effects should begin to diminish, but do not let him quit yet. I have found that the more ill I am, and the more meds I take, the slower the process can take. If you can get him through 6 weeks, that will tell you if he can manage it or not.

Happy to hear he is going in on Tuesday, but am not sure what a "pt/inr checked" means. I have heard of Physical Therapy called pt, but what does this mean to you?

I always encourage people to bring questions in on paper, that you have spent time on before the appointment, no matter what they are. How often have we all left an appointment wondering "what just happened"? I have also used a mini cassette recorder to record the doctors words, as they can be forgotten just as easily. I have found the doctors are very willing to do this, I just ask first, and put in on the desk between us. I have had doctors who love this idea. As as stroke survivor I have had to come up with ideas to remember things, and this one has been a great source for me.

I had to go look up the question about permanent damage that can be caused by gout, and the answer was yes, it can cause permanent damage. The urate crystals that form creating the gout then end up sitting on the cartilage in sharp
chisel like formations, and continue to scratch the surface of the cartilage. Try typing in "gout, permanent damage", I found information there to read through.

This was once called the disease of the kings, because it was brought on by diets including rich foods that only kings could afford at the time. these days we are all kings, in that we can easily get foods rich in calories, fats, sweets, sodium, carbs, all the good stuff. Has you husband modified his diet?

Bless you for taking care of your husband, even when he is unwilling to do much for himself. That is a very difficult job for anyone.

Enjoy your weekend!
janet

Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
(female)

lwill HB User

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. A pt/inr is a blood test to check his blood clotting time. He has to go in every two weeks to have it checked because he has a blood disorder that can cause him to get blood clots and die if he is not monitored and kept on coumadin at a certain level. Yes, he has many health issues and it's very frustrating to just try your best to help a person and in return you get nothing. I keep telling him, if you don't care about yourself or want to take care of yourself, at least do it for your son...he needs you. But, most of the time that don't even phase him either...he's just so stubborn! And, he quit taking the uloric because of the constipation and nausea, until he goes in tues to talk to dr.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Sorry to hear he quit the uloric, but thank goodness that the doctors appointment is tomorrow. I will be anxious to hear what happens there.

The blood clotting issue sounds very dangerous, and I know need to take the coumadin can be very trying. My dad is also on coumadin which requires him to have blood drawn three times a week and adjustments to the dosage each time. Thank goodness he does take his health very seriously, but it still takes my mom's help for him to keep it all in order.

It sounds like you could use some support yourself! How old is your husband, if you don't mind me asking. And you mention your son, how old is he? How is your health? I know taking care of a man who seems ungrateful is terribly draining. I do not understand how people cannot think of their families when they choose not to take care of themselves. That is heartbreaking, and leaves you in quite a stressful position. I am sorry.

Well, I hope all goes well at the doctor and I will be watching for your post after that. Do a little something for yourself that is nice, you deserve it!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:08 AM   #15
(male)

dhaulagiri HB User

Exactly my query.
Started Boxing Day.. by evening struggle to walk.(it is in left big toe joint)
Got to a doctor today who prescibed celebrex.
He unsure how long it will last.. goung back friday 30th for blood tests.
Had a minor bout in 1995.. nothing since. 63 aged male. teetoller since Jan. this year. not much o'weight.

Thanks for any hints.

Closed Thread