hi, i'm a 14 year old guy. I was born with two club feet and my left required surgical correction(my right foot was corrected via cast). I've been experiencing severe pain now for the past two years. I've seen three doctors and my first doctor, who is the head of the orthopedic dept. at Hartford Hospital, gave me an MRI, bone scan, cortisone injections, and xrays. Even after all of this he saw some problems with my talonavicular joint, but couldn't figure out what to do with me. He sent me to see another doctor who specializes in club feet. He had me get a ct scan and discovered that yes, my talonavicular joint was bad, but i also have arthritis in my subtalor and calcaneocuboid joints. He has had me braced with a UCBL style brace and that didn't help. They have now exhausted their other options and now only have surgery left. I am now posed with the hardest decision of my life: do I get the triple arthodesis and be pain free? but have the limit in motion? do I get a single talonavicular fusion?(yes this has the worst decomposition and arthritis) and live with much less pain and more motion? but also know in the back of my mind i will need to complete the triple arthrodesis anywhere from half a year after recovery to fifteen years after? or do I try to tough it out for a while and enjoy myself while i can?
keep in mind: I had to quit football because of the pain and was not able to play this year(freshman year). Some of you might say go for the single arthodesis and just try to enjoy yourself until the end of high school. I agree and want that to be the case, but its a possibility i would need to finish the fusion in a year to two anyway. The pain might also still be significant if only the one joint is fused (my doctors cannot tell me). I would like to be able to get the triple arthrodesis and just limit myself to the least amount of time possible recovering(if i ended up getting them separately, the recovery time all together could possibly be up to a year and a half as opposed to half a year or most of a year). I am not sure what i should do, i want the pain to be gone but i would like to still be able to do activities such as hiking and playing sports. I'm totally lost and i want to get the surgery just before or on winter break to limit my time lost in school so i dont need to make up as much work. i would need to have my answer by the next day or two for this to happen. im totally stressed and confused on what i should do, PLEASE HELP!
be up to a year and a half as opposed to half a year or most of a year). I am not sure what i should do, i want the pain to be gone but i would like to still be able to do activities such as hiking and playing sports.
You said that above: Hon, I don't know anything about club feet...but from your description you have a couple of options....I would opt for the longer recovery...so that NEXT year...you can be fully functioning to the best of your ability. Even if you have the lesser of the two evils now..you can't be guaranteed that you will be able to play with any success. I would go for it all...keep your spirits up as much as possible...by concentration on all the great MOVES...you will be able to perform next year! Good luck with other input and your decision.
The following user gives a hug of support to Misssty: mkonnikSW (11-22-2010)
Hi, you are far to young to be this stressed. If you need to have this op, do it and get it over and done with. A longer recovery is always a better option. You will heal quicker because you are still so young. You have got your whole life ahead of you, it does not stop at freshman year. See the bigger picture here. Hope all goes well. Good luck!