It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
(female)

PearlM HB User
Unhappy Unilateral joint pain??

Hi, I'm 16 years old, 5' 7", 110 lbs and reasonably healthy and fit. I do not play sports or do too much physically demanding excersize (I have my GED and am working full time in an office job, so I am sitting most of my day). About a week ago I started having pain in my right calf muscle not due to any injury and seemed very spontaneous. Over the course of the week the pain has speed to right elbow joint, right wrist, right finger joints and right ankle. The pain seems to come and go and sometimes is so bad in my right ankle that I have trouble with stairs. And the pain has been getting worse and worse with time. This is really frustrating for me and I'm not sure what to do. ALL of my pain has been unilateral in the right side of my body. And I know that I have had NO injuries recently that could be causing this. What encouraged me to do research and post this thread was the excruciating pain in my right middle findger joint when I attempted to staple two sheets of paper together. I'm sixteen years old and I feel physically 89 (but only in the right half of my body)! Please help me. I need advise.

Thank you,

Pearl

Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Unilateral joint pain??

First the good news. there aren't any arthritic disorders that affect just one side so don't worry about something like rheumatoid arthritis...that is both sides as are all of the others.

May I ask of you've had any kind of virus recently like a cold or flu or even something bacterial like a strep throat?

These can cause post-viral(or bacterial) inflammation in the joints and it can affect just one side. I found that out this past spring when I ended up in the hospital with badly swollen knees and they thought they might be infected. They took blood from both sides of my body as infections and post-infection inflammation can affect one side and not the other. Strange but true.

I'm not saying you have infected joints...you'd know. You'd be really, really sick. But post-viral inflammation can do 1 sided stuff too.

So, have you had any kind of virus recently?

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread