It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
(female)

Pattyanne HB User
cymbalta for OA

I was prescribed cymbalta for my osteoarthrtis because I was not pleased with the results of the many NSAIDS I had taken. This seems to be giving me better results. Has anyone else tried this med for OA?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: cymbalta for OA

Cymbalta, despite being advertised as an anti-depressant, has a better track record for treating pain than depression. It is approved for peripheral neuropathy as well as depression and generalized anxiety. Peripheral neuropathy is one of the hardest kinds of pain to deal with and I took it for that and it worked.

So I am a fan of Cymbalta for pain. It seems to interfere with the way pain signals are picked up and transmitted by the brain. If it works, that is what counts.

Glad it is helping you.

hugs..............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
Pattyanne (01-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Really..hmmmm. I have OA all over the place, severely in my spine and the ONLY anti-inflammatory that gives me great relief is steroids (whether oral or ESI's). ESI's only last about 2 weeks or so, though. I've taken oral steroids for lupus before and felt so normal again. Right now I'm takign Lyrica, Soma, and tramadol. Tramadol helps somewhat, but it wears off in about 4 to 4/12 hours and I can only take it 3 times per day. Soma definitely helps my spasms a lot (more than any other muscle relaxer I've tried), but I'm not sure how much the Lyrica is helping anymore, plus it's so expensive.

Hmm, is there a generic for Cymbalta? It's probably another expensive med, I bet. I had tried Elavil in the past for fibro but it did nothing but help my sleep at night. (Plus I'm not sure if I really have fibro....long story, but turns out many of the symptoms I had that my former rheum insinuated were fibro related were not...they were spinal stenosis & spasms. I would probably be willing to try it. I've tried all the Aleve, ibuprofen, relafen, mobic, a few others I can't recall and they just dont' work. I actually took Bextra for several weeks years ago and it DID help alot, but then got pulled from the market (Figures). I just don't want to "suggest" meds to my pain management doc, as that doesn't look good. I do have to find another Rheum, though, so who knows, maybe that doc will offer some other options.

I'm very interested to hear if anyone else has had good pain relief from Cymbalta. I'm definitely going to keep track of this post!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

No generic for Cymbalta, Baybreeze. Too new. And you can't take it with Lyrica...same type of med....for peripheral neuropathy. With you being on both Lyrica and Soma, you probably wouldn't get any better relief than you are getting already.

But there are new drugs coming along. It just takes so long to get them tested and approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugs..............Jen

Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
No generic for Cymbalta, Baybreeze. Too new. And you can't take it with Lyrica...same type of med....for peripheral neuropathy. With you being on both Lyrica and Soma, you probably wouldn't get any better relief than you are getting already.

But there are new drugs coming along. It just takes so long to get them tested and approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugs..............Jen
Hi Jenny,

Good to see you!! I want to junp into this conversation for a sec. When I was first Dx'd with Fibro my Rheumy then put me on Lyrica which did nothing but make me dizzy and fall a lot and then she added Cymbalta to the mix which also did nothing. It effected my kidneys because I only peed like 3 times a day while I was on it...another reason why I stopped it after about 4 months. Maybe it was a combination of Cymbalta and Lyrica?? No idea but neither one did a thing for me. I've known others with Fibro who were on Cymbalta and Lyrica...worked great for them but not me.

Take care and stay warm!!
sharon

Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I had a feeling there was no generic. I thought if there was, I would have liked to perhaps try Cymbalta instead of Lyrica. But the way I'm going right now with all I owe in medical bills again, I don't even want to bother. I may have to stop the Lyrica now just so I can pay more back to my med bills. And I have insurance, but it's an 80/20 plan, so.....There is no way at all that I could even consider having surgery again, though I suppos I'll go to the consultation just to see what the neurosurgeon thinks.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybreeze View Post
I had a feeling there was no generic. I thought if there was, I would have liked to perhaps try Cymbalta instead of Lyrica. But the way I'm going right now with all I owe in medical bills again, I don't even want to bother. I may have to stop the Lyrica now just so I can pay more back to my med bills. And I have insurance, but it's an 80/20 plan, so.....There is no way at all that I could even consider having surgery again, though I suppos I'll go to the consultation just to see what the neurosurgeon thinks.
Baybreeze, have you tried writing to or calling whoever makes Lyrica and asking for financial assistance? Drug companies have more money than anyone in the world...it seems like they should be able to help you. It's worth a try if you want to stay on it. Also, ask your doctor if he/she can provide samples for you. That really helps. My Rheumy I had a few years ago wasn't a very good doctor but she did give me samples. I had NO insurance at all which made life very hard. I had to go to the local hospital for chairty care...very hard thing to do. I got into one of the programs Montel was talking about a few years back to help with drug expenses too. So, while it was limited at least I had some access to health care. Now that I'm disabled I have Medicare and an AARP supplement plan and I had to join an Rx plan so I could get lower priced drugs. Is that crazy? I pay a fee every month so they can let me pay less for my scripts. I have a friend in England who said that's the craziest thing she's ever heard of. I think she's right.
Take care,
Sharon

Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I agree that it's ridiculous to have to buy a plan to help you pay for meds. I have actually been on Pfizers prescription before for about a year when I had lost my last job. Right now my income wouldn't qualify. It's not a big income by any means, but still too much for assistance.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybreeze View Post
Yes, I agree that it's ridiculous to have to buy a plan to help you pay for meds. I have actually been on Pfizers prescription before for about a year when I had lost my last job. Right now my income wouldn't qualify. It's not a big income by any means, but still too much for assistance.
Baybreeze, that's good news and bad news. It shouldn't be that way though. It's a shame to have to worry over health care and how you'll pay for it. I hadn't been able to work in a long time and just did temp jobs as I could so I did qualify for a few things. I hope it all works out for you.
Take care,
sharon

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
(female)

Pattyanne HB User

I just wanted to say the cymbalta is still working great. My OA is about 80% better. I don't need to take my over active bladder medicine and it is helping with my colitis because one of it's side effects is constipation. My only side effect is dry mouth. I've also lost about 9 pounds. I'm happy and surprised.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh wow, that's wonderful news! I'm happy that the cymbalta is helping you a lot. Do you think you lost the weight because you are just more active, or does it give you loss of appetite?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
(female)

Pattyanne HB User

The cymbalta really lowers my appetite and I am satisfied with alot less food.

Closed Thread