It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

cazz58 HB User
Degenertion of the sternum

Hi, I have been diagnosed with degeneration of the collar bone/sternum and wondered if anyone else suffered with this complaint! I already have arthritis in my fingers and one ankle, they are more controllable! The pain in my chest is 24/7 to different degree's and sleeping in a nightmare! excuse the pun, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Degenertion of the sternum

Inflammation of the sternum is called costochondritis.....this is probably what you are talking about. comes with many forms of arthritis. As does arthritis of the collarbone where it joins the shoulder blade at the shoulder. It's called the AC joint, short for the acromioclavicular joint.

There is an entire board here for costochondritis..it is that common. a good place to find info and ideas on how to control the pain.

As for the AC joint problems, you could try the Shoulder/Rotator Cuff board or see who can help you here. I've had it and have had surgery on both my AC joints to remove the ends of the collarbones to relieve the pain. Until you get that bad, there isn't much they can do. maybe some have some newer treatments to share.

If it helps, these are pretty normal problems that go along with osteoarthritis. Sad that I can say that. Anti-inflammatories help but I've used heat and ice and changing how I do things as a way to cope. Sometimes with the costochondritis, something as simple as changing how you sleep can make a lot of difference. Cortisone shots into the AC joint or the bursa below it can give some relief. If the collarbone dislocates at the sternum from chronic inflammation, there is nothing they can do about it. Doesn't respond to treatment either and they can't inject there. Can't put it back either once it dislocates.

So what did your doctor suggest for this?

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
(female)

cazz58 HB User

Thank you so much for this info Jenny! Where do I find this board you ate talking about? I have yet to see my surgical doctor whom my own doctor refered me to! When he examined me ( after my own doctor said it was a fatty lump!!) he said he thought that what it was, the man that did the x ray confirmed this, but I have to see the surgical doctor, hopefully in the next few days!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

If you are seeing a surgeon, you may have a different thing than the one I spoke of...you may be more advanced. Let me do a little research and get back to you.

Jenny

Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
(female)

cazz58 HB User

I think in the first place I see a surgeon as my doctor said it was a fatty lump! I am not too worried about this being anything sinister now as both the surgeon , on examination and the x ray doctor? said the same thing, but I would like to know what I am dealing with . You are very helpful, thank you.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

I was doing some research as there is a disorder that can cause the sternum to really deteriorate and fall inward. But having a lump on it is different and is probably a fatty lump...like you think it is.

Look for the info on the Costochondritis board, further down the list of boards.

But we are glad to help you here, too.

Jenny

Old 04-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
(female)

cazz58 HB User

It is definately not a fatty lump, the sugeon and the x ray man both said that, they say degeneration, which I suppose is wear and tear arthritis.
I hvae found the board and left a message.
Thank you so much for trying to help me Jenny. x

Closed Thread