It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Migrating joint and muscle pain

Not sure if this would even be the right forum since muscles are also involved. This started almost 5 months ago with a very swollen index finger which lasted months and no cause could be determined. I had a cortisone shotans it went away fast.

Almost right away, my lower back was killing me..... Which after several weeks moved right toy coccyx, the pain was sever and could be felt moving or pressing right in the area. As fast as it came, it went. Then my hamstring muscle in my right leg.
Now that that is subsiding, my Achilles tendon and heel area are killing like nothing else. Almost unbearable in the am, but it works in over the rest of the day.

Any ideas on what this could be would be helpful. Maybe just coincidences? No injuries at all have causEd them .....

Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Migrating joint and muscle pain

You can get migrating tendinitis and since the tendons attach at the joint area, it makes the joints hurt too. I've had it for almost 35 years and no knows what causes it.

For many, it goes away in time and for some, it stays at the present level and can be brought under control with NSAIDs with local treatment with cortisone shots. I have it all over. I've seen a number of rheumatologists for it and they universally tell me that I have more tendinitis than they have ever seen. I used to get up to 4 cortisone shots ever 6 weeks, year round.....for years and years.

Finally, it got so bad my doc tried putting me on Plaquenil....a base-line drug used for many inflammatory disorders and it worked. First relief in many, many years. If this keeps up, I'd suggest seeing a rheumatologist and ask about Plaquenil. Might take a while to get it but it's worth asking.

Until then, keep up the NSAIDS(ibuprofen tec) and getting a cortisone shot as necessary. Bet it's the tendons.

hugs..........Jenny

PS...certain antibiotics can cause tendinitis all over the body including Levaquin and other antibiotics in the same family so if you've been on any kind of antibiotic, it may be that and it is time limited.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Thx Jenny. No antibiotics, and this is something new with joint pain this year.

I saw my orthopedist, and of course we are at square one, with starting with ice and advil, see him in 3 weeks if no result. He then wants to try a stupid foot boot to immobilize it, which I am not up for. I'm not willing to spend this summer hobbling around. It's just so frustrating to convey to these doctors that there is a likely chance this stuff is related.

The pain is like my finger, it has gone away almost 100%, then comes roaring back like nothing else. I read cortisone is risky for Achilles tendons? I'm a gambling man if the odds are at least decent it will not happen.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

I'll be finding a rheumatologist as well, I am not all that impressed with the wait and see attitude of these orthopedists.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
(female)

creinha HB User

I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since 2006. Lately, I've been having LOTS of tendonitis and muscle pain. My rheumotologist told me at my last visit that it was my RA. I argued with him for a few mintues because it really doesn't feel like RA to me. He said RA can affect more than just the joint. Like you, it's migratory. One day, it's my forearms, next day or even hours later, it's close to the knee on the inside, or possibly hips, or ... (you get the picture). The constant pain is very distressing.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I finally saw a rheumatologist today, it was rather difficult to get to see between referrals and long appointment dates.

Anyways, she is thinking psoriatic arthritis. I have had a scaly rash on my head for several months that I really thought not much of, but that is being biopsied tomorrow. I also developed a large pit in my thumbnail, which caught her eye.

She had me take nearly 12 vials of blood, one for syphillis...the others I am unsure of. I am seeing her agin in two weeks to discuss anything that is found there. If nothing has triggered this, she wants to put me on dexamethasone once a week to see what that does.

Kind of a bummer if it turns out to be no underlying cause....but Id rather just treat the joint pain and move on here. The finger I had injected has been fine since, maybe a prescription drug could kick whatever this is into remission for at least a while and I would just need occasional drugging......we'll see I guess.

I did like her far more than my orthopedist....he was dead set on it being an injury, which I knew it was not, and she agreed.....seems almost common sense to me that it is not just by how it comes and goes somedays.

Last edited by SOTM; 08-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well, the Rheum. thinks it is Psoriatic Arthritis. The scaly patches on my scalp came back as Psoriasis, and I also have pitting in one of my nails. Reading on the symptoms, they nail it dead on for the most part with what i have been experiencing.

She put me on 15mg of Methotrexate once a week with Folic acid once a day. I had no side effects that I could feel with the first dose, which I took Tuesday. I don't know if it is just a good day for my ankle today, but it actually feels not so bad today and it was very responsive to my daily ibuprofen. I normally have a pretty noticeable limp, but 95% of it was gone the whole day....even after sitting. Heres hoping it gets better

Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hidden psoraisis..the clue you needed to solve this mystery. You and Phil Mickelson!

I'm sorry you have PA but at the same time, I'm glad as it's one of the easiest forms of inflammatory arthritis to treat. Methotrexate is the first line of defense and if that stops working, or doesn't do the full job, the biologic drugs work great....drugs like Enbrel and Humira.

I also take methotrexate for my RA and I do have a word of advice. If you find the pills affect your stomach, especially as they raise the dose, you can inject it and it works much better. That is what I do...once a week and I can go into my belly or thighs or arms...anywhere as it's just given subcutaneously. So easy.

Let me know how it goes and I'm glad she spotted that rash.

Jenny

Old 08-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks Jenny for sharing your experience. Hopefully this med does something for me. Nothing really yet, but it does take a few to several weeks to take effect.

Ive had that rash for a while, and figured it was just nothing. I had thought maybe a raction to the large amounts of ibuprofen or something. Having that Orthopedist spinning me around in cirlces saying none of the things I have experienced this year were related was very frustrating. It was validating when she confirmed what i knew all along....that this was not injury related.

Ill post back in a few weeks.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've been on the pill form of MTX for a month, and it did nothing at all. She is now trying injectable MTX, since it is more effective. The next step is going to be more aggressive drugs or maybe biologicals, I forget which one she was going to suggest I go with. I am not too happy about medications, I cannot stand even taking aspirin, let alone this crap. But what are you going to do?

Looking online for other people and their triggers, red meat sticks out like a sore thumb. I've eaten it in moderation myt whole life, but starting maybe a year ago, I made it my predominant protein most everyday. I typically consume maybe a pound average a day, although it is grass fed beef. Latley its been more mixed as I get sick of it.

After Mon and Tues night, when I had a large serving of red meat as dinner, my achilles tendon was far more painful than usual and took most the day beofr I could use it somewhat normally. My large double sized big toe was also far more sensitive. This is my 3rd day of not eating any red meat or dairy at all. Today, while it still is slightly painful, I am able to walk on my foot without any sign of limping. It is still swollen around the tendon, and my big toe is stilll large, but both are bothering me far less than they have in the last couple months.

Maybe it is something, maybe it is the mtx, or a combo of the 2. Im going to stick to a difernet diet of mostly fish and some chicken, with my usual vegetables and increase the avocados( just had a sale , $.79 each). I really hope it could be something like that that may have flared this up.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
(female)

Grace404 HB UserGrace404 HB User

Nightshade vegetables can be triggers for arthritis flares for some people.

Nightshades are: white potatoes (sweet potatoes are OK), tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant, sweet and hot peppers (including paprika, tabasco, cayenne pepper), pepinos and pimentos.

After basic testing for food allergies, I eliminated nightshade vegetables along with quite a few other foods for 4 months, then added them back in one at a time to isolate the foods that caused a reaction. As soon as I added back tomatoes in the form of spaghetti sauce, the joints in my body started aching and I became quite drowsy! I was amazed by the reaction my body experienced to this food!

I now eat nightshades rarely and in very small quantities - I still have a bit of a reaction, but it is manageable if I control the amount of the offending food and don't eat it more than once in a great while.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks Grace....imagine how long you went through life consuming those not knowing they were somehow affecting you? I did read that nightshades were one to avoid as well, dairy as well. I had been having a fair amount of those, usually just a small scoop of hashbrowns with bacon in the morning. I had adopted a "primal" diet a couple years ago, and it helped me lose weight. Im going to try and get back to it and vary up the protein with chicken and fishes. Im going to do as you did and eliminate any common triggers or sensitive foods, and see how that does me. Even if I can add them back, I am going for more moderation....not my typical indulge in something till I cant look at it any more.

Sweet potatoes and squashes are some of my favorite foods, so I'll hit those for carbs. Im sugar free and grain free, save for an occasional time or two. Thanks for your input .

Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
(female)

Grace404 HB UserGrace404 HB User

You're welcome, SOTM

In addition to nightshades, I also eliminated peanuts and soy and I have been on a gluten-free diet for the past 6 years as well - that took care of all the gastro-intestinal problems, migraines, lethargy, dark under eye circles.

I'm 58, and feel healthier than I did when I was in my 40's - my weight is now proportionate to my height, I am more physically active and most of it just came from changing the way I eat - it just took me a while to isolate the offending culprits - I credit my integrative medical doctor who takes a nutritional approach to healthcare and prevention and reversal of degenerative diseases.

I hope some of your problems are resolved by diet changes - it sure beats taking meds (and paying for them) and then dealing with all the side effects they heap on top of the condition they supposedly treat.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

I'm still gettin pain, although it has been alot more moderate. Until yesterday. It was probably one of the most severe pain days I have had since this started happening around April or May. The only thing different i did was eat a bunch of chicken the night before, probably pushing 1.5 pounds of chicken breast.

So yesterday, I tried cutting out almost all protein, save for a couple ounces of fish. Today, the pain is about 90% less than yesterday. I find it interestin that in the last 2 weeks, the days I ate a large excess of protein had extremely painful days following them...... Only to clear up as soon as I greatly reduced protein.

I have been on a high fat, high protein, and low carb diet since January 2010. I lost about 70 or 80 pounds doing so, and have pretty much stuck with the diet since. I started having joint swelling and pain the end of that year.

I don't know if imam just grabbing at anything, but it is interesting at the least. I am going to stick with a reduced protein diet for a week and see what happens.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thought I'd give a quick update. I stopped using the Methotrexate. I was getting a reoccuring dry cough. The Dr. thought it a coincidence, I believe it was because of it. I have never had a similar cough, and considering I was on a drug known for lung problems....

She wants to move me up to more potent drugs, maybe the biological ones. I am extremely uncomfortable taking any kind of prescription drug, especially ones to suppress my immune system. Seems about the dumbest idea ever. I had gone to this Dr since my orthopedist was insisting this was an injury when it was not. The current Dr agrees with me, but I was hoping for cortsione shots or temporary prednisone or something similar, not a lifetime of drugs.

The pain I had has greatly subsided, though the swelling is there. I have had many days of being able to walk with almost no limp, and Ibuprofen seems very effective with it. I am seeing the Rheumie in a couple weeks, I will discuss my dietary changes, though I can imagine the response from her regarding diet having any impact. If it is the same as now or better, I am going to have her hold off for a month or 2 to see what happens.

Closed Thread