It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
(female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User
What to do for swollen knees?

I'm currently waiting to see a rheumatologist. My CRP, Rheumatoid Factor and full blood count all came back normal, and my ANA is positive. My knee xrays (taken 1 month ago were normal).

I've had pains in my knees and fingers for 7 months, along with nose ulcers, fatigue and dry eyes.

My GP was expecting my blood work to come back positive for RA.

Anyway, this week it's all gone down hill. I'm getting worse and my knees have swollen up, especially my left knee. It's impossible to straighten it and I'm walking with a limp.

I'm stuck taking Naproxen until I can see a rheumatologist in about a months time.

Is there anything I can do for my swollen knees until then?

(I'm sure Jenny will answer this, I know your suggestions, but I don't really want to go to A&E)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: What to do for swollen knees?

I assume that you're already doing the simple stuff, like icing a few times a day and elevating whenever possible. When ice doesn't work for the swelling, sometimes heat immediately followed by ice works a lot better. (Got that trick from my friend the naturopath.)

You might also benefit from an ace bandage, the wider kind, to push the swelling out.

I've had assorted knee injuries/chronic problems, and I find that topical anti-inflammatories (I use Ketoprofen 10% from a compounding pharmacy) work a lot better than anti-inflammatory pills. This isn't hocus-pocus, lab studies have found that for knees, ankles and wrists, topical NSAIDS get more medicine inside the joint than taking it by mouth. Meanwhile, almost none of it gets into the bloodstream where it can cause side effects.

In some countries there are topical NSAIDS available over the counter, in the US you need a prescription. (The pills, with a much higher risk of serious side effects, those are OTC. Totally logical, right?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi janewhite, I found your remark on (KETOPROFEN)interesting. I have Arthritis in my fingers. I am unable to take Anti-Inflammatories as I have had an Ulcer.
However two yrs ago I was prescribed KETOPROFEN for Frozen Shoulder and I did find it somewhat helpful. I have not used it on my fingers yet as they are not too bad painful-wise. I have developed a number of bony lumps on my fingers and they burn and swell at times. Xray revealed Arthritis in them. If they become painful I will use the KETOPROFEN on them. I got mine on Prescription. Solofelix.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
(female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User

I went back to my doctor today who did some more tests (including anti-CCP, urine tests) and she gave me Prednisone and 800mg slow release Ibuprofen.

Closed Thread