It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
(male)

tendonitis HB User
Elbow surgery recovery time

Im 19 years old. Got a bonespur from overtraining in the gym like 8 months ago. Got the procedure on April 12th.

I have no more pain through full range of motion anymore but I still get pain when I extend my elbow ABOVE my head....not WHEN I extend, but on the way down theres pain. Why is that? Is it done healing and thats it or theres just more time to give?

Need support

Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
(male)

tendonitis HB User
Re: Elbow surgery recovery time

When I was at work yesturday (ymca) I curled 5 lbs...felt that my left was weaker than my right.

Right now I only get pain when I do overhead extensions (no weight). Not on the way UP but on the way DOWN. No more pain through full ROM. Weird....

Surgeon said I didnt need long term physical therapy. Havent started lifitng yet. I swam a few times...but how can I get the strength back on my left arm...if I give it more time will strength naturally come back?

Its about to be 8 weeks...by from what the surgeon told me I shoulda been already started with light weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
(male)

tendonitis HB User

What do you guys think if it still hasnt healed 9 weeks after procedure? Havent seen improvements past couple weeks...

I get really depressed whenever I think about my elbow.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Except for saying you has elbow surgery, you haven't said what kind of surgery was done. I was supposed to undergo tendon surgery on my elbow but declined to do it as it meant cutting the tendon and then deeply scarring the area to make a "false tendon". That would have meant months of recovery. So if you are lifting even 5 pounds this soon, you must have had something different.

Did they just remove the bone spur?

Any kind of joint surgery can produce pain for an extended amount of time but that does not mean there is a problem. Nerve fibers are the slowest ones to heal and can take months. Same with muscle fibers if muscle was cut. Muscles can take 7-8 months and nerves, 8-10 months. Nerves are so slow they thought for quite a while that once cut, nerves never recovered.

And with healing nerves that are growing, once they re-connect, they tend to let you know with a huge burst of pain like saying....hi, I'm back!

So if your doc isn't worried, I wouldn't be either. Just go slowly and if it hurts, back off a little. As long as the pain doesn't get worse, you should be okay and the pain is probably just muscles and nerves healing.

I've had the surgery where they go in and remove all the bone spurs off the collar bone at the shoulder.....a common area for problems with athletes. They not only remove the bone spurs but cut off the last 1/2 inch of the collar bone to make additional room if more bone spurs develop. The recovery was fast from the actual surgery but the bone pain lasted a good 3-4 months. So if you had a bone spur removed, that can hurt for quite a while as well. Just takes time for the bone to heal over.

So I wouldn't be worried unless the pain increases with time or you get redness and swelling.

Jenny

Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
(male)

tendonitis HB User

Had an olecranon bone spur remove and other inflammatory tissue removed. Friction occured on the elbow joint which caused swelling and had pain lifting weights(light weight) that is why I had the anthroscopic procedure done. Because I want to lift again.

He also saw 5mm of slightly damaged cartiladge. But Ill just take a joint supplement when I start lifting.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Even arthroscopic surgery cuts through muscle and fascia and nerves and they take time to heal. I've had 2 scopes in my shoulders and 8 in my knees.

If the pain doesn't get any worse, I think you just need time to for everything to heal and as long as the doc says you can lift, lift. Pain does not mean you can't work out. When they replace knees, they cut off the ends of the bones in the knee and cut muscle and nerves and everything you can think of...and then the next day, they bend your knee, forcefully, to avoid adhesions from forming. And then they put your leg in a machine that bends it over and over again. It HURTS. But it is safe.

So I'd start moving that arm and don't worry about it as long as the doc says it's okay. Sometimes you need to move to prevent scar tissue from developing.

Jenny

Old 06-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
(male)

tendonitis HB User

O Ive been moving it starting the day after procedure. They gave me things to do at home. He told me I can lift when it feels good. It doesnt feel good to me yet. Its been like 9 or 10 weeks now, how long you think it should take for it to heal?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
(male)

tendonitis HB User

Its been over 11 weeks now...still havent started lifting weights...what should I start doing?

Its not 100% healed and I feel that my strength is weaker than my other arm. How do I approach this? Will strength come back?

Closed Thread