It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

SeaHag HB User
Reaction to injection site on Enbrel

I have been on Enbrel for 2 months. It has helped me so much. I was getting a puffy red spot, maybe 2x3 inches around the injection site. It didn't itch, hurt or bother me in any way. When I told my doctor yesterday, she immediately took me off the Enbrel telling me that it was an allergic reaction and though it might be small now, if I continue the Memory Cells could react and it be fatal. I also have asthma. Has anyone else heard of this? I am so upset because it has changed my life. Now she wants me to try Humira. Help...thanks.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Reaction to injection site on Enbrel

It's very normal to get a puffy red, itchy reaction to the shot and in subsequent weeks, you may even activate the earlier shot sites. But my understanding is that when you get that kind of reaction and it doesn't itch, that is different. Antibodies are building.

There are many TNF inhibitors out there and in different classes as well. I am allergic to the entire family that Humira is in. Enbrel made me even sicker. But I am now on Orencia and I feel great.

So don't worry, you'll find something that works and that you aren't having an antibody reaction to.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Reaction to injection site on Enbrel

This is very common to have this type reaction from Enbrel shots. I had huge, red and hard spots, but my DR did not have any concern about it saying that this is very common and just keep doing it.
I also called the company to just make sure and they told me the same thing not to worry!!
I was for 9 month on it, until it stopped working and always had these red patches. Never had any reaction or allergy to it.
I wonder if your DR aware of this common side affect to Enbrel.

Best luck to you!
Moldova

Closed Thread