It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
(male)

expidition200 HB User
disability

I was told by my doctor I had RA about a month ago have an appointment with RA Doctor aug 5th. My RA Factor was 285 , the month before he told me I had nuropathy because Im also a diabetic. But I think it was pain from the RA. I dont know how long Ive had RA but it may have been years. Just kept going thought they were old football injuries acting up. I have missed 4 days of work a couple of weeks ago couldnt move my right hand because of the swelling. Now its in my neck, shoulders ,anckles, knees and the bottom of my feet! I dont know how much longer I can work and I dont know what my chances are for ss disability I have enough credits but I heard it can take forever and still not get approved.Ive had diabetes for 3 years now this RA is about to kill me the pain is like nothing ive ever felt before! Is anyone on disability with diabeties and RA!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: disability

Does your employer offer STD (Short Term Disability) and LTD (Long Term Disability)? If so, that will cover you while applying for SSDI. SSDI is offset (deducted) from LTD benefits, but it's great to have LTD as it tides you over. I went out of work 4/2009. STD through 10/2009. LTD started 10/2009. Summer 2010 LTD insisted I apply for SSDI and assigned me to an attorney group they use. SS atty helped me apply for SSDI 8/2010. SS mandated I see a consulting physician 10/2010. Then denied at initial application 12/2010. SS atty filed reconsideration 01/2011. Denied 06/2011. SS atty filed request for hearing at ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) 07/2011 and now I wait.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidition200 View Post
I was told by my doctor I had RA about a month ago have an appointment with RA Doctor aug 5th. My RA Factor was 285 , the month before he told me I had nuropathy because Im also a diabetic. But I think it was pain from the RA. I dont know how long Ive had RA but it may have been years. Just kept going thought they were old football injuries acting up. I have missed 4 days of work a couple of weeks ago couldnt move my right hand because of the swelling. Now its in my neck, shoulders ,anckles, knees and the bottom of my feet! I dont know how much longer I can work and I dont know what my chances are for ss disability I have enough credits but I heard it can take forever and still not get approved.Ive had diabetes for 3 years now this RA is about to kill me the pain is like nothing ive ever felt before! Is anyone on disability with diabeties and RA!
I got disability from Fibromyalgia...that was before they realized I had other issues...or before my Rheumy then wanted to explore further. Anyway, I can offer this tip....get a lawyer or an advocate to go after your disability for you. I'm not really giving a plug here but I used Binder and Binder and got my disability in 9 months...no hearings...no rejections. Seriously. They do take a % of your back money but they're great to deal with. I don't know what will happen with all the new budget goings on in Washington in the future and what they're going to do Medicare. That's something to consider. I had to get an AARP supplement to pay the portion of my medical bills that Medicare doesn't pay. Don't know if you qualify for that or not because of age. Has your doctor said you're disabled? Mine told me on my first visit that I wouldn't be able to work anymore. I waited until after I had tried a bunch of treatments and none of them helped at all. That's when I brought up the subject of disability again. She gladly filled out the paperwork and that was it. In fact, the government gave me back pay 7 months prior than when I filed so that was saying something. All the best in the process if you decide to go ahead with it.
sharon

Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

vasuna HB User

It can take some time. I must get a disability lawyer it will take less time and they don't charge, but they do take a percentage of your first check. The first day you apply
will be your first day you start getting back pay from SSDI

Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Having a SS attorney doesn't necessarily make the process faster, but it can help you through the process and they know how to navigate the system and what to rotor each kind of diagnosis.

SS atty get 25% of your back pay to a maximum of $6000. The date of disability is determined by your condition, when it first disabled you, and when you last worked (if your condition caused you to cease work.

For example, if someone leaves work 3/1/10 to be a stay at home parent. On 6/25/30 he/she has a disabling stroke. SS will use 6/25 as the date of onset.

Here's my scenario :
*last worked 4/27/09 due to disabling condition
*first day out of work 4/28
*employer Short Term Disability 4/09 thru 10/09
*employer Long Term Disability 10/2009 thru present
*LTD mandated I apply for SSDI summer 2010
*SSDI application via attorney 8/2010
*SSDI sent me to consulting physician 10/2010
*SSDI denied 12/2010
*attorney filed for SSDI reconsideration 01/2011
*SSDI reconsideration denied 06/2011
*attorney filed for hearing at ALJ 07/2011
*estimated 8-16 mo before heading
*if approved and SS agrees disabled 4/27/09, then SSDI begins 10/2009
*SSDI mandatory waiting period 5 full calendar months from disability onset
*my waiting period is May, June, July, August,Sept., so SSDI benefits eff 10/2009
*when approved benefits retro to 10/2009 and atty fee taken out of retro payment check
*then mo benefits

Old 07-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I have both Ra and diabetes as well as some other stuff and I am on disability but not from either Ra or diabetes. I was from breaking my neck.

I would hold off applying. First, you were just diagnosed. Getting SSDI is based on your prognosis.....how you will do over the next 2+years. Your doc has to certify that you will be totally unable to work for at least 2+ years. And how can he/she do that when you've just been diagnosed? For all you know, they will get you on medication and you'll feel great. My Ra is almost completely under control with the use of just 2 drugs, methorexate and Orencia. You may have the same good luck.

And there are many new drugs for Ra and the sooner they get you on them, the better off you are.

SSDI is for people who can't work. You have to prove that you can't work at all and won't be able to for 2+ years....that is why it's a long process...people have to prove it and often can't. You go to a disability doc and tell them you haven't even tried any of the Ra drugs and you'll be turned down flat very fast.

Give yourself the chance to be treated then apply if you don't have any success and by all means, make sure your doc is in agreement as he/she will be the one telling the feds if you are indeed, disabled. Your doc doesn't think you are disabled, you might as well not even apply as that is your best advocate in getting it.

RA is not the disabling disease it used to be. The new drug treatments are amazing.

Jenny

Closed Thread