It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

thesaint HB User
Unhappy Arthritis Questions - Confused Need Advice

Hello everyone,

I want to start off by saying that I really received great answers in the past. thank you. I am 41 yr old male who had a right hip replacement because of arthritis almost 5 months ago. So far with therapy and strengthening exercises it is going well. I do have mild arthritis in my left hip which has not bothered me so far. However, last two months I started feeling sort of weak in my upper body, arms. When I wake up sometimes I don't have enough strength to close my hands. I feel like as if I lost some muscle in my upper body. I saw my family practice doctor and he sent me for the following lab works CBC with Diff, ANA, ESR and ERF and CPK. Glucose was a little high 107 and CPK was 216 a little high also. all other results were fine. He doesn't think these numbers are significant. Nevertheless, I have these symptoms. What is your advice? Should I follow up with my Rheumatologist whom I seen prior to surgery (and told me to take glucosamine/fish oil). What other kinds of testings are there? X-rays of spine, shoulders? Any other lab work that I may suggest?

Thank you for anticipated responses.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Arthritis Questions - Confused Need Advice

If you have so much arthritis that you need hip replacement at 41, then chances are you have arthritis elsewhere. Your symptoms sound suspiciously like arthritis in the cervical spine...your neck. Weakness, as opposed to stiffness, in the arm muscles/tendons is a major clue.

Ask about getting an MRI of your neck. My doc kept telling me it was the arthritis in my hands and shoulders(even had surgery on both shoulders) only to finally find out it was my neck. Arthritis in the neck can happen with no pain at all but with weakness and possibly diminished feeling in the arms or tingling.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

thesaint HB User

Thank you Jenny for your quick reply and God bless you! By the way I have been trying to strenghten my upper body due to the hip surgery and as mentioned before noticed some muscle loss. When I try to do light weights it feels as if I have clicking in my shoulders and as if I am overexerting my ligaments/muscles. Should I go back to my Rheumy? a neurologist? my ortho or my family practice?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
(female)

thesaint HB User

By the way i'm in the NYC area and my name is ED, thank you Jenny!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Ed in NYC...glad Irene was a dud for you. Not here.

I'd go see the rheumy and let him figure out where you need to go next IF you need to. He can order the MRI and see the results and see if you need more help than he can give. That is what I did and from there went to a neurologist who sent me to a neurosurgeon.

There is a rheumatological disorder called polymyalgia rheumatica that affects the shoulders and hips at the same time and that can cause the muscle weakness and that should be ruled out first.

Besides, rheumies know all the good docs to see...best referrals!

Stay dry.................Jenny

Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
(female)

thesaint HB User

Thank you Jenny from CT,

Thank you again for your response. I will set up an appt with my Rheumy to follow up. I hope you did not get too much damage from the storm and please stay well. I see all your responses to all posts here. I can tell that you are truly a wonderful person!

ED

Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
(female)

thesaint HB User

Thank you Jenny,

I will set up a follow up with my Rheumy and see what he suggests. I hope that the storm did not affect you terribly. Please stay well and I truly appreciate your advice since I have seen many responses from you to other folks. I can tell you are wonderful person!

ED

Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
(female)

thesaint HB User
Unhappy Re: Arthritis Questions - Confused Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Hi Ed in NYC...glad Irene was a dud for you. Not here.

I'd go see the rheumy and let him figure out where you need to go next IF you need to. He can order the MRI and see the results and see if you need more help than he can give. That is what I did and from there went to a neurologist who sent me to a neurosurgeon.

There is a rheumatological disorder called polymyalgia rheumatica that affects the shoulders and hips at the same time and that can cause the muscle weakness and that should be ruled out first.

Besides, rheumies know all the good docs to see...best referrals!

Stay dry.................Jenny
Hi Jenny,

I hope all is well with you (as good as it gets!) From my past post of a month ago I saw my rheumatoligist and the spine x-ray was fine. I am supposed to get shoulders' x-rays this week as well. I have one question relating to a symptom that I'm experiencing since I saw my doc two weeks ago. I a have a hot/warthm sensation when i sit for a while that goes down my legs. I have experienced this feeling in the past and it semed to have gone away at that time and now it seemed to come back. I really don't feel it as much when I'm walking. Can this be related to arthritis?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Make sure to tell your doc about the return of the warm sensation. Oddly enough, some types of nerve damage will not affect temperature sensation and some types will so that could be important. Temperature is carried by different nerve fibers than pain.

Sure sounds like you have a bit of a mystery going on and someone has to figure it out. I hope they do find out soon.

Jenny(in still soggy CT)

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
thesaint (10-04-2011)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
(female)

thesaint HB User
Re: Arthritis Questions - Confused Need Advice Jenny

Hi Jenny

I hope you are coming along as best as possible! I have not posted anything for the past six months, not because I did not want to but simply because I don't want to see or hear things that may depress me even more. Nevertheless, I would appreciate your advice once more. Since my last posting, I have been experiencing other symptoms aside from the ones before and some may have gone away unnoticeably. I have been complaining of lower back pain (more of a discomfort). My right artificial hip is not bad although it may have thrown my body off alignment. I do have mild arthritis in my left one. I went back to the rheumy did all my blood work up again CRP, RF, ESR, HLA-B27 Antigen, Cyclic Citrulline PEP IGG and all Thyroid panels and all negative. My xray for lumbar spine shows mild degenarative disease. I had work up osteopathic manipulation and the dr told me that I definetely unaligned and my left side is very tight - that I will need to see him every week for couple of weeks. With this said, I feel both legs are heavy, it takes more effort for me to do things and still feel burning/warmth sensation in my buttocks and legs ( no diagnosis here). Could it just be plain all OA from all the years of fun filled soccer playing? I know you have helped others from your own experience and knowledge. Help!!!

Thank you Jen!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
(female)

kim52 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint View Post
Hello everyone,

I want to start off by saying that I really received great answers in the past. thank you. I am 41 yr old male who had a right hip replacement because of arthritis almost 5 months ago. So far with therapy and strengthening exercises it is going well. I do have mild arthritis in my left hip which has not bothered me so far. However, last two months I started feeling sort of weak in my upper body, arms. When I wake up sometimes I don't have enough strength to close my hands. I feel like as if I lost some muscle in my upper body. I saw my family practice doctor and he sent me for the following lab works CBC with Diff, ANA, ESR and ERF and CPK. Glucose was a little high 107 and CPK was 216 a little high also. all other results were fine. He doesn't think these numbers are significant. Nevertheless, I have these symptoms. What is your advice? Should I follow up with my Rheumatologist whom I seen prior to surgery (and told me to take glucosamine/fish oil). What other kinds of testings are there? X-rays of spine, shoulders? Any other lab work that I may suggest?

Thank you for anticipated responses.

Reply Reply