It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
(female)

pixie1985 HB User
Bursitis

Anyone else suffering with a lot of Bursitis pain/swelling with their Arthritis. Bursitis in both shoulders, both knees and both hips. So far only one of my ankles is affected. Rheumalogist injected the hips in early August. Pain returned in just a few days. (not work the pain of the injection)
Labs showing elevated CRP even though on Celebrex, Plaquenil and Arava. Also taking Aleve for the pain. Pain is much worse at night and in the morning when I wake. MD on maternity leave until December at which time her nurse states will have to be more aggresive. Could the bursitis be from the RA/Lupus or is the a separate problem? Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Bursitis

Bursitis is one of those pain cycle things. You have joints that hurt so we don't exercise them very much. As a result, the muscles get a little weak. Then the joint hurts and the body wants to protect the joint so it puts all the stress on the muscles, which aren't strong either and so the tendons get the brunt of the stress. As you know, tendons attach muscles to bone. And what lubricates the heavily used tendons....bursas. Bursas get overused and when the tendons swell, it put more pressure on the tendons(bursas are under the tendons).

I also have tendinitis/bursitis all over my body both from RA and OA. What works? Trying not to lie on my sides when I sleep helps the hips. Heat helps me sometimes and other times I need ice. Shoulders are always ice. I use ACE bandages to keep a joint somewhat still.....it reminds me not to move too much and rest the area. With finger tendons, I use tape to splint my fingers. One good long strip all the way from fingertip to wrist works really well, cheap and easy to replace if I don't want someone to see it or I have to use water.

I haven't found any med that helps except cortisone shots.

But I do have a new way of helping it...warm pool PT. You can slowly strengthen the muscles to take the burden off the tendons by exercising in a warm water pool.....92*. See about getting a script for it and finding a place that has the pool. The heat and the slowness of the exercise helps without making your RA worse. Has been wonderful for my joints! Bursas much better.

Hope this helps.

Jenny(OA, RA and secondary Sjogrens)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread