It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

Punkyman HB User
Question Thumb Knuckle Pain and Swelling

Hi ~ I have been having problems with my right thumb for a few months. My main symptoms are pain around the knuckle, swelling, stiffness and the feeling that I need to crack my knuckle when I bend it. It has progressively gotten worse. If I happen to move it in the wrong direction or bump the knuckle part of my thumb on anything, I am in a lot of pain. What could this be?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
(female)

GrammaT HB User
Re: Thumb Knuckle Pain and Swelling

Please visit a doctor...he would know more about it than any of us would

Tell us more - how old are you? Does your job require extensive use of your thumbs?

The Following User Says Thank You to GrammaT For This Useful Post:
Punkyman (09-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
(female)

Punkyman HB User

I am a "young" 37! I am a stay at home mom so one could say I use my thumb all day even though my boys are 9 and 5. I do work on the computer and text on my phone...not a lot though. A friend said it could be from texting, but I don't text a lot...some days it might be 5 times, others 0. I will be giving my doctor a call soon as I need to make an appt. for a overall physical. Just wondering if anyone knew. Most things I find on the internet talk about the base of the thumb pain and swelling and clearly mine is at the knuckle. Thanks for reading my post!!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

It could be something as simple as a bone spur in the joint that came from an injury years and years ago. That is what arthritis does...builds new bone to try to fix a problem but it tends to build it in the wrong area.

Try putting a piece of tape(paper tape or any kind of tape you use to hold on bandages...not duct tape)and put it around the joint. Doesn't have to be tight, just tight enough to remind you not to bend the joint......kind of like a splint for it. And then wear it for a day and see if it helps. If it does, then you know it's something inside the joint or a tendon problem. By splinting the thumb, you may find that it starts to heal by itself or that it doesn't help at all(and that tells them something as well) or that it's in the joint.

Your doc may order x-rays but really, the only doc's who can help with a thumb are those who know the anatomy of the hand inside and out. So if you need further treatment, see a hand orthopedist for further evaluation. They call the hand a "mine field" because of all the nerves and tendons and it really is.

But you can safely tape it up and see if it helps. That is what my rheumatologist has me do and it has helped me for years. Reminds me to not move it and any rest of a hurting joint helps.

Hope this helps.................Jenny

Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Hi, has a bump come up on your thumb joint? Every time a new node forms on one of my finger/thumb joints I have swelling, pain to the touch and it just is sore and hurting all the time if I have to use it. Jenny told me too, about putting tape on the joint to give it protection and as a "reminder" to baby it .

Old 09-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkyman View Post
Hi ~ I have been having problems with my right thumb for a few months. My main symptoms are pain around the knuckle, swelling, stiffness and the feeling that I need to crack my knuckle when I bend it. It has progressively gotten worse. If I happen to move it in the wrong direction or bump the knuckle part of my thumb on anything, I am in a lot of pain. What could this be?
Sounds as if you have a ligament damage of the metacarpal phalangeal joint.
The ligament is loose in extention and taut in flexion. I think it is rarely diagnosed early and can lead to chronic instability. What you really need, if it isn't settling down, is a stress xray by someone who knows where to put the stress and see if instability is present.
James

Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
(female)

mcam HB User

Hi. I am a 35 year old stay-at-home mom, and I have the EXACT same thing going on with my right thumb. I was looking all over the web for someone with the same problem, and hoped to find out why I might be having such trouble with my thumb. Did you ever find out exactly what is wrong with your thumb?

Closed Thread