It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

Loudlaugh HB User
Reiter's Syndrome

Hi Everyone!
I was diagnosed with Reiter's Syndrome in January of 2010. I literally woke up on December 17, 2009 and couldn't walk. My right knee was so swollen, I couldn't fit my leg into pants. Within a week, both my knees, ankles, and feet were swollen. I looked like I had Flintstone feet, or Hobbit feet as my mom would say. I was in a wheelchair and bedridden until May of 2010. I was on prednisone from December of 2009 through June of 2010. I tried Methotrexate on it's own, added Enbrel injections in my legs in February of 2010, and switched out the Enbrel for Remicade infusions in July of 2010. During the months when I was bedridden, my legs were so sensitive I could not sleep under blankets, could not comfortably rest my legs on a surface, and could not wear pants or have material on my legs. I have been on Norco, Robaxin, Gabapentin, Motrin, and Morphine for the pain since December of 2009. In April of 2010 the swelling began to go away. I began aquatic therapy to regain some of my mobility. By October of 2010 I was able to get into the gym for physical therapy. Since January of 2011 I have been able to work out pretty hard in the gym 5 days a week for 2 hours a day. I can work out on the elliptical and do squats and lunges. I cannot yet run or jump, but my therapist says I will be able to do so again. I no longer have inflammation, but my neutrophil count remains dangerously low. I am unable to be around large groups of people or anyone who is sick. I cannot be around flowers, animals, or dust. The pain has also remained at the same level. My Rheumatologist has just recently added Doxycyline to my regime as studies have show it to help control pain in Reiter's patients. I won't really know what kind of an effect it is having for a few more weeks. I have been out of work since December of 2009 because of this disease. I am hoping to be able to get clearance to go back to work soon. It's very lonely living the way I have had to since my diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread