It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

petrina HB User
Severe degenerative disc disease

Hi I'm wondering if anyone is in the same position as me. I have severe disc degenerative disease with slight spondylolesthesis and severe spinal stenosis. I have pain every day, some days the pain unbearable and take painkillers everyday. Pain is now in neck and shoulders, I'm wondering if I have to put up with this for the rest of my life, I'm only 49 and if it is just going to get worse. I work 18 hours a week sat for six hours a day solidly at a computer, I struggle through the days but can't see way out as need the money. Anyone out their with same problem?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: petrina
Paddy55 (09-15-2011), patatje (10-03-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Severe degenerative disc disease

I also had severe DDD at your age and at age 55, underwent 2 major neck surgeries to fix it. I am now fused from C3 to T1 and have had the back of my spine re-built to give room to my cord. I am expecting to have a similar surgery on my lumbar spine this fall.

Have you ever had an MRI? If so, if you can post the radiologist's report, I can translate it into plain English and tell you where you stand in terms of surgery. Most spine surgeons won't operate until you are in danger of developing paralysis. I was going numb from the neck down and currently am numb from the knees down. They don't operate for pain(most of the time) but do operate when numbness sets in. The reason why is that the you risk paralysis with the surgery so they want you to be close to it anyway in case the surgery fails.

So if you can post results of an MRI or even a CT, I can tell you where you stand with regards to surgery to fix the problem. You end up with some new problems but life is easier and less painful....but never pain free.

Sorry you have joined the club.

hugs.............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

Petrina - so sorry you are dealing with this degenerative disk disorder - and you are so young! I have similar pain that refers from my neck, plus it also refers down my arms at times. Although it cannot take away the pain, I wanted to suggest some very mild exercises that might help a bit. You may wish to have your doctor refer you to a physiotherapist who will show you exactly how to do them, but I will tell you generally. When you have to sit for long hours at a keyboard, every 30 minutes or so, stop, get up, roll your shoulders a few times, stretch up and sideways to release your arms, and if you are able, bend you neck to the sides (not back) and hold for a few seconds. If any of those cause you more pain, then stop immediately. If you wish or need to continue working, you will need to keep as limber as possible - holding the same pose for long periods will definitely hurt, and possibly develop into chronic pain, so I encourage you to have someone show you how to stretch and loosen up those muscles that may knot up on you. Massage therapy can help too, if that is possible.
I hope you find some help for your pain,

Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
(female)

Dobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB UserDobie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrina View Post
Hi I'm wondering if anyone is in the same position as me. I have severe disc degenerative disease with slight spondylolesthesis and severe spinal stenosis. I have pain every day, some days the pain unbearable and take painkillers everyday. Pain is now in neck and shoulders, I'm wondering if I have to put up with this for the rest of my life, I'm only 49 and if it is just going to get worse. I work 18 hours a week sat for six hours a day solidly at a computer, I struggle through the days but can't see way out as need the money. Anyone out their with same problem?
Hi Petrini: I have all of those things and more. I also am in severe pain everyday and on painkillers all day. The pain wakes me up in the middle of the night like clock work at 4am. I can feel your pain and I wonder the same for myself. Have you considered applying for SSDI? Good Luck.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi l too have ddd l dont know all the details waiting to see a rheumy regarding high ana blood test, l know l have narrowed disk space,ddd, and bone spurs l have been in pain for along time l am now 45!! My whole life is affected and l cannot carry out a full days house chores!! Sitting causes rib and sternum pain, l have terrible muscles spasms in my back and horrendous pain in sacroiliac area just been tested for ankylosing spondylitis l dont have the gene and the xray did not show AS so?????? Everything l do causes pain using my arms is a nightmare cos l know l will pay for it later!! Just to let you know your not alone... lve been having some accupuncture and it causes a flare up the same night the next day l get sort of a reasonable day and do too much and then lm back to 'normal' normal is pain and restriction l have asked for help for years and basically been fobbed off took me years to even get an xray!!! Hope you guys arnt suffering too much at the moment x

Closed Thread