It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

EnJOYinTU HB User
Arthritis of the Brain or Primary AutoImmune Cerebellitis or

Hi,

I have joined this post to get some answers in regards to my Mom. My mom has had RA for a while even though she is only 56. She had her knee replaced in ___ and has not had RA symptoms since. However, since April she has been going through some severe physical issues such as: she is seeing double which makes her dizzy, she has lost her balance and therefore cannot walk well, she gets headaches and cannot turn her head. The effects of this have almost been debilitating for her. We have been to Neurologists, ear nose and throat doctors, general practicioners, etc - she has taken so many tests yet they all come back saying normal. They have ruled out a stroke, MS, cancer, tumors, etc. The last time we went they told us that this is something like arthritis of the brain. Can anybody give us any advice/insight/steps to what you have done/referrals anything? We are trying to get to the Mayo clinic b/c they are supposed to be good with this type of thing...

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Arthritis of the Brain or Primary AutoImmune Cerebellitis or

She needs to see a "neuro-ophthalmologist"...they are the "docs of last resort" when something is going on with the brain. They are neurologists who also studied eye problems and are the docs who study brain/eye problems.

I've only had Ra for 6 years but it started very aggressively with brain problems and eye problems. My regular eye doc said my optic nerves were very pale, a sign the blood vessels to my optic nerves were probably inflamed. He sent me right to the neuro-ophth. Further testing showed I did have problems with the tiniest blood vessels of my brain and rheumatoid uveitis of the eyes. Normally uveitis has pain and lots of symptoms but I showed very little but it stopped with the start of a biologic drug....hence the diagnosis by exclusion.

Anyhow, these docs are few and far between(300 in the entire country) but Mayo should have a couple. They are very thorough and the diagnostic geniuses of the medical world. That would be the place to start. Who knows....she might have something similar to me. Heavy Ra drugs got me back to normal.

RA can affect anywhere in the body. It is an inflammatory disorder that can affect the blood vessels almost anywhere but tends to affect connective tissue. What holds the brain together is connective tissue. It also hit my heart too....all in the first 3 years so I'm on MTX and a biologic for life. They can't allow it to get started again or it will kill me.

Hope this helps.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread