It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
(male)

jimmy456 HB User
What Is This? Diagnosing Unusual Joint/Tendon Pain...

Hi everyone,

Your help diagnosing my condition-which could be arthritis-is very much appreciated. While my symptoms are not severe, they are affecting my daily life and may significantly change future employment plans. After two doctor visits I'm a little discouraged that I'll find anything more than another brush off. I realize that my late 30's will see the introduction of a few aches and pains but this seems abnormal; not typical aging.

Trigger: common activities like lifting heavy grocery bags, opening a car door with one or two fingers, using the clutch in rush hour traffic, clicking a computer mouse, moving a piece of furniture... and sometimes no possible cause.

Symptoms: Always: pain and weakness. Infrequently, redness or noticeable swelling.

Locations: Whatever joint was used but most frequently the same knuckle, knee, thumb socket, wrist, etc. The pain often appears to be in the tendon as apposed to the joint. For example, the tendon that appears on the side of the wrist when the thumb is extended like when hitching for a ride.

Pain: Usually begins in the morning following the activity and lasts for that day. It is sufficient to limit use of the joint or limb for the remainder of the day and is sometimes server enough to require a brace limiting movement to obtain some comfort.

This first occurred around the age of 30 and now, 8 years later, is occurring at weekly.

Fortunately my symptoms are not terrible. I hope to determine the best treatment, avoid the causes, and prevent deterioration.

My thoughts are with everyone suffering from much worse.

Thank you,

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
(female)

mjd123 HB User
Re: What Is This? Diagnosing Unusual Joint/Tendon Pain...

Jim,

I am still waiting for my first rheumy visit on Thursday so I am new to this too, but I wanted you to know mine felt like the soft tissue between my index finger and thumb when the pain started. It went from sharp pain between the finger and thumb and within minutes the pain went across my thumb. Within an hour I had numbness and pain on the top of my hand which quickly spread up over the top of my forearm. Within a few hours it felt tingly up to my shoulder. It happened this way for days. I wad put on prescription anti -inflamatories and muscle relaxers for a month. It helped. This went on for a little over a year, but it wad never as bad as it was in the beginning until now. I had pain and numbness in both hands this time and my knuckles became swollen and red on three of my knuckles. Two days later I had a bruise on my left hand... the neath part between the thumb and finger again. Three days later, I had a matching one on my other hand and it has been down hill from that day. That wad eight weeks ago. I now have larger misshapen knuckles and all of the RA symptoms including that of the eyes, lungs, most joints, flu like mornings with swelling and a general feeling over inability and weakness in the morning. It affects mostly my hands, wrists, and arms on the mornings. On my worst mornings,
I feel like I have just been in the hospital for weeks and was released too soon. I can have some mornings that seem almost normal and some that make you want to cry and hide under a rock. I have never felt useless or incapable. I hope you don't have whatever I have and you feel better soon. If you find that it is time to see someone, don't hesitate! It can go from barely noticeable to a feeling like death in a matter of weeks. I know that sounds dramatic, but feeling extremely sick and incapable all a sudden and finding your first appointment may be months away is pretty scary. You have no choice but to question you future abilities, career, and etc. whatever this is hits you fast. My family doctor never questioned RA because there was no redness or swelling. It didn't start out the normal way. Wait a minute... there is no normal way. Good luck to you. I hope you go back to the way you used to feel soon.

Mjd

Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: What Is This? Diagnosing Unusual Joint/Tendon Pain...

Oh, to both of you... I wish the answer would be right here, I wish it would be so easy to just "diagnose" you here and give you some relieve. But it can be so many reasons why you experience these symptoms, only good doctors can help you with it.
Did you have extensive testing done? You said you suffer for 8 years - it must be a reason for it, your body tells you something, and you need to listen.
I just want to add my 2 cents, who knows maybe it will help you in any way.
I had so many problems with my elbows, knees, shoulders and wrists - you name it. With all this, I kept very active, every day in a gym, kids, more than full time job, etc. Pain was there all the time, I ignored it, I pushed it to the end...
I had MRI done; muscle, tendons, ligaments: tears, ruptures, torn. Not to mention joints changes. Surgeries to fix it. And nobody ever asked me or themselves why it happens to a young woman?

I went to see 5 RA during my 30th and early 40th. You name it - I was diagnosed. From Fibromyologa till "all in your head". And this is despite the fact that I was diagnosed with JRA at age 12!!!
One RA told me that maybe I had RA as a child, but now I am OK.

Only in my late 40 I was diagnosed with... you ready? RA+ Lupus+ MS.
And only because I had numerous spinal surgeries for a different reasons and ended up disabled in Pain Mgmt care. My PM insisted I go and see their great RA DR at HSS in NYC. By that time I Lost interest to even go and see anyone, I was so disappointing.

This just aought me how to never give up, how to fight to the end and also that we must be our own doctors, nobody will take interest in helping us, but ourselves.

Take good care of yourself
Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
mjd123 (05-08-2012)
Reply Reply