It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
(male)

flyer99 HB User
Finger pain

Last night I started to experience a shooting pain in my right ring finger. It feels like my finger is in a light socket (well, not literally). I only experience the shooting pain when I move my finger (when I curl it down toward my palm and back up). When I don't move the finger, I experience no pain. There is no noticeable swelling or redness and it doesn't tingle and is not numb. This just came on all of a sudden. I am still esperiencing this today. Any ideas what this could be? Is it something I should be concerned about right away? I am in my mid 50's and I do have some osteoarthritis in my lower back and knee joints.

Thank you for any comments, very much!

Last edited by flyer99; 10-13-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Finger pain

There is something loosely called called trigger finger(technically it has different names for different joints of the finger) that can develop in the fingers and the ring finger is the most common place. It is caused by inflammation of the tendon that goes from the finger tip to the palm. this inflammation can cause pressure on the tiny nerves of the finger and give you that shooting pain. It's not doing any damage to the nerves but it is damaging to the tendon and eventually, the entire finger can curl inward.

A cortisone shot into the tendon can really help to stop it. Otherwise, try as best as possible to rest it and not move it. Heat helps. But it is tenacious. Surgery can free it up if it does curl in.

My brother-in-law had had all the fingers of both hands get this and has had the surgery to free them all up and he is fine so even at it's worst, it is treatable. I've had it too and the cortisone shots stopped mine, so far.

See your doc if it really bothers you and get it treated.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
(male)

flyer99 HB User
Re: Finger pain

Thanks so much for the reply. I see my doc in a bit on another matter and I will ask him about it. Thanks for all of the great info!

Closed Thread