It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

ItsNami HB User
Moderate-Servere pain in Left arm/elbow, could this be arthritis?

I have this pretty serious ache/pain in my left arm that has been bothering me for a week or two. It's not a super sharp pain, but it spreads to most of my arm til it just hurts. It's bad enough to give me headaches if i dont take something for it. It's not aggravated by movement either, even if i'm sitting still, it just aches. I cannot really tell it's origin, but it does seem to be coming from my elbow. My left arm feels heavier than the other, and i have to constantly take an aspirin/ibuprofen/acetaminophen to make the pain subside enough so that i can get anything done(school-work, work-work, gym-work).

I am a 21 year old college student and i am very fitness/health involved, and don't take any medications or supplements. I regularly go rock climbing(specifically bouldering[no harness free-climbing]) and have recently gotten back into weight lifting. I cant seem to tell if this is some awful tendonitis, or arthritis, or what. But it's really affecting me. I'm pretty sure i'll be going to a physician within the next few days. Just for extra points though, what do you think this is? and what kind of doctor should i go to?

Thanks for the future help~ -Jess

Last edited by ItsNami; 11-07-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: forgot my age!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Moderate-Servere pain in Left arm/elbow, could this be arthritis?

Pain in the elbow can also originate from the shoulder and the neck, not just the elbow itself.

Is there any area that hurts to the touch? If so where? The bones of the elbow itself or maybe just one side of the elbow joint hurts to the touch? If it appears to be more in the muscle, is it above or below the elbow?

The most common problem is called epicondylitis...inflammation of the area where the tendon attaches to the elbow. It makes the area to either side of the elbow "bump" painful to the touch. If the upside hurts(the side you can see) then it's often called tennis elbow and if it's the underside area, it's pitcher's elbow...happens real commonly in sports. and you can get both inflamed at the same time. If the joint is involved, it becomes very stiff as fluid fills up the joint and it's very hard to straighten.

Shoulder problems can send pain down to the elbow and if you have a pinched nerve in your neck, it can show up almost anywhere in your arm but very frequently shows up as deep pain in the upper arm just above the elbow. It can spread to deep pain below the elbow too as it gets worse.

Sounds like you need to see a doc and find out which it is. Cortisone shots can greatly help the epicondlylitis and elbow arthritis. If it's shoulder or neck, that needs testing to find out what and where.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread