It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

antwaters2 HB User
RA with Sharp, stabbing pain that comes and goes (intermittent)

Hi,
My husband has had RA for over 20 years and just recently started having Sharp, stabbing pain that comes and goes (intermittent) in his arms, hands, legs, and feet. Does anyone know what causes this? Doctor first thought diabetes but that has come back normal.
Thanks
Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: RA with Sharp, stabbing pain that comes and goes (intermittent)

Where about in the arms and legs does the pain hit? Mid way or in the joints or near the joints?

Off hand, my guess would be to check his neck.....OA and RA can both hit the cervical spine and a bad disk hitting the spinal cord in the neck can cause problems all the way down to the toes.

But more info would be helpful.

Jenny(RA and severe OA)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
(female)

antwaters2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Where about in the arms and legs does the pain hit? Mid way or in the joints or near the joints?

Off hand, my guess would be to check his neck.....OA and RA can both hit the cervical spine and a bad disk hitting the spinal cord in the neck can cause problems all the way down to the toes.

But more info would be helpful.

Jenny(RA and severe OA)
Thanks Jenny for responding. It actually hits all over and travels around. Meaning it's never in the same spot. It has increased in frequency over the past few weeks. I wondered about his neck but he just had a discectomy and a titanium rod put into his neck in May due to Klippel Feil Syndrome. It caused numbness and tingling in his left hand and fingers. After the surgery, those symptoms went away. He hasn't had any symptoms until about a month or so ago. I didn't associate the needle pain to his neck. We're going to call the doctor and see if we can't get in to see him soon. The last time all they did was check for diabetes.
Thanks again for responding. Hope you have a good evening.
Andrea

Old 11-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Klippel-Feil is a congenital malformation so even if that had to be surgically fixed, doesn't mean he doesn't have more problems further down.

But RA can also do some nasty stuff and if he hasn't talked to his rheumatologist, he should. Vasculitis needs to be ruled out for sure. The inflammation of Ra can inflame the interior of vessels anywhere in the body and cause major pain. Have they checked his ESR, CRP and WBC and other signs of inflammation?

They call lupus the great pretender as it can mimic just about any disease but RA is a close second. My rheumatologist oversees my neck problems too so I just have 1 doc overseeing the skeleton as I have found that spine docs and even physiatrists(rehab docs) don't get what RA can do. I went from an ophthalmologist to a neuro-ophthalmologist and 3 years of testing for strange visual problems until my rheumy put me on a biologic and my eye problems magically went away. Had none of the symptoms of RA uveitis but that is what it was. RA had inflamed the blood vessels in my optic nerves and eyeballs. RA is a very strange disease.

So if it were me, I'd check the neck and other areas of the spine(they now know RA can hit anywhere in the spine, not just in the neck)and I'd check all his blood tests for any indication that the disease is inflaming the blood vessels of his muscles. The pain and areas you describe sound very close to what I've read on vasculitis when it affects the peripheral vessels...causes symptoms similar to peripheral neuropathy in multiple areas, or polyneuropathy. RA can casue both the spine problems and the vessel problems.

I hope he finds an answer.

Jenny

Closed Thread