It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
(female)

lady664 HB User
Do You think this is GOUT?

I have developed HB and went on a mild diuretic PMS-Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg, for a week when I noticed I was having pain in foot that was causing me to limp, I stopped taking the water pill as I had a dull headache too but as the week went on my foot was getting worse and worse. My foot turned red and painful at the middle toe joint and then my whole foot swelled up. If I stayed off of it the pain was bearable. I went to the doc and he couldn't see anything in the X ray but gave me a Prescription for Novo-Methacin 50 mgs ( a powerful anti- inflammatory) to take 3 times a day and I could stop it when ever the pain went away Pain still hasn't left and in fact the flare ups I get are worse at the end of the day

It was the pharmacist who asked me if I knew how to prevent the gout from coming back as this medicine tended to be given as a gout treatment and I kinda looked shocked because the doc hadn't used that word but it does appear that I have the typical symptoms. What do you think?

Last edited by Administrator; 11-18-2013 at 07:21 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to lady664:
ChevyCathy1995 (12-29-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
re: Do You think this is GOUT?

Hydrochlorothiazide can cause a "gout like" problem to develop. Let your doc know it is getting worse and not better as there are so many other drugs you can take for high blood pressure there is no point in keeping you on a drug that is doing this to you. You shouldn't have to take another drug to make taking that one drug possible....just take a different BP drug!

Sometimes doc's don't think!

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
re: Do You think this is GOUT?

I agree with Jenny, go back and tell your doc. Also, there is a very simple blood test to determine if it truly is gout.

Good luck.

Closed Thread